Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Challenge of the day part 2

Thanks now here is second part of question: Do I need it to match as the
range
will be from C6:C14 (apple,banana, pear etc that it needs to match so does
L35:
=IF(G35=$C$6:$C$14,$AA$2,"") work then? i have numerous areas i would like
to do this in.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

Note that worksheet functions in cells can't "put" values in other
cells. If you want a worksheet solution, then one way:

L35: =IF(G35=$C$6,$AA$2,"")

Copy L35 to L35:M126

In article ,
Khanjohn wrote:

Here goes. say I have a topic in C6 named banana (drop down menu) and I
want it to look up data( will have from apple to zulu fruit) in G35 :H126 and
if it matchs then put the value of aa2 which is 2 in the appropiate column
in L35:M126. What is the frormula in excel not VBA? IE C6 is apple going down
G column it finds apple at 37, 39, 56, 78,79, 80, 100, 126 and in the H
column it finds apple in 38, 52, 56, 126. I wnt it to put a 2 in each of the
correct cells down the L and M columns.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You really need to explain your layout better. Do you have a table of values in G35 :H126 that
associate values with words?

If that is the case, perhaps:

=VLOOKUP(C6, $G$35:$H$126, 2, False)

Which can be copied down.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Khanjohn wrote:

Here goes. say I have a topic in C6 named banana (drop down menu) and I
want it to look up data( will have from apple to zulu fruit) in G35 :H126 and
if it matchs then put the value of aa2 which is 2 in the appropiate column
in L35:M126. What is the frormula in excel not VBA? IE C6 is apple going down
G column it finds apple at 37, 39, 56, 78,79, 80, 100, 126 and in the H
column it finds apple in 38, 52, 56, 126. I wnt it to put a 2 in each of the
correct cells down the L and M columns.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok

C6 Banana
(AA 2) Banana (AB 2) 3
C7 Orange
(AA 3) Apple (AB 3) 2
C8 apple
(AA 4) Onion (AB 4) 1
C9 Onion
(AA 5) Orange (AB 5) 0

data here doesnt matter C35 Banana D35 Orange E 35 ( answer for
C35) F 35 Answer for D35. continues down list.

Khanjohn wrote:

Here goes. say I have a topic in C6 named banana (drop down menu) and I
want it to look up data( will have from apple to zulu fruit) in G35 :H126 and
if it matchs then put the value of aa2 which is 2 in the appropiate column
in L35:M126. What is the frormula in excel not VBA? IE C6 is apple going down
G column it finds apple at 37, 39, 56, 78,79, 80, 100, 126 and in the H
column it finds apple in 38, 52, 56, 126. I wnt it to put a 2 in each of the
correct cells down the L and M columns.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In E35:

=VLOOKUP(C35,$AA$2:$AB$5,2,FALSE)

Copy to F35, then copy E35:F35 down to match your list....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP