Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default another macro is running ... how to recognise that process in code???

I have written an AddIn (call it AddIn_2) which picks up where another
(AddIn_1) leaves off.

AddIn_2 uses events to identify when a particular worksheet is
activated to enable a menu item.

AddIn_1 creates that worksheet and reiteratively activates it during
its process ... causing a messy crash. AddIn_1 is a commercial product
and I have no access to its code.

I want to be able to write a clause like
if AddIn_1 is running

end if

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, in my opinion, any AddIn will expose its methods and properties. You
should try using the autolist feature of VBA to find out its methods, which
might help you in understanding how it works.

"Matthew Dodds" wrote:

I have written an AddIn (call it AddIn_2) which picks up where another
(AddIn_1) leaves off.

AddIn_2 uses events to identify when a particular worksheet is
activated to enable a menu item.

AddIn_1 creates that worksheet and reiteratively activates it during
its process ... causing a messy crash. AddIn_1 is a commercial product
and I have no access to its code.

I want to be able to write a clause like
if AddIn_1 is running

end if

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Madhan, I haven't come across the autolist feature, and F1
offers no help; how do I go about using it?
Thanks

Matthew

"Matthew Dodds" wrote:
I have written an AddIn (call it AddIn_2) which picks up where another
(AddIn_1) leaves off.

AddIn_2 uses events to identify when a particular worksheet is
activated to enable a menu item.

AddIn_1 creates that worksheet and reiteratively activates it during
its process ... causing a messy crash. AddIn_1 is a commercial product
and I have no access to its code.

I want to be able to write a clause like
if AddIn_1 is running

end if- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As far as I know only one VBA procedure can run at a time, so add-in1 should
not be running when your code (add-in2) runs.

That said, it doesn't always appear that way and crashes or hangs can be
tricky to avoid in these circumstances.

Tim

oups.com...

"Matthew Dodds" wrote:
I have written an AddIn (call it AddIn_2) which picks up where another
(AddIn_1) leaves off.

AddIn_2 uses events to identify when a particular worksheet is
activated to enable a menu item.

AddIn_1 creates that worksheet and reiteratively activates it during
its process ... causing a messy crash. AddIn_1 is a commercial product
and I have no access to its code.

I want to be able to write a clause like
if AddIn_1 is running

end if- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Tim, I think you're right; but simultaneous AddIn runs isn't
the issue.

What I wanted to do was to recognise in code when AddIn_1 was running,
and stop the eventCapture enabled by AddIn_2 from being triggered (my
AddIn_2 uses activation of a worksheet created by AddIN_1 to create a
menu; since AddIn_1 repeatedly activates this sheet during its own
run, this causes problems if my AddIn_2 is installed at the time)

Any ideas anyone ....?