Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel process remains running

After creating an Excel object in VBA, manipulating and
destroying the object, a process remains running in the
background.

Dim exApp As Excel.Application
Dim exBook As Excel.Workbook
Dim exSheet As Excel.Worksheet

Set exApp = CreateObject("excel.Application")
Set exBook = exApp.Workbooks.Open(Path...)
Set exSheet = exBook.Sheets(1)

....(some process)

exApp.Quit
Set exSheet = Nothing
Set exBook = Nothing
Set exApp = Nothing

Checking with Task Manager verifies that the application
was removed however in the processes tab a process of
Excel is not destroyed and keeps on running.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks
Josh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Weird problem, Josh. A very general first answer is to set Excel visible and
see what she does, is she asking for something when you kill her ?

Set exApp = CreateObject("excel.Application")
exApp.Visible = True
Dim exBook As Excel.Workbook 'and as is from there

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Excel MVP

"Josh" skrev i melding
After creating an Excel object in VBA, manipulating and
destroying the object, a process remains running in the
background.

Dim exApp As Excel.Application
Dim exBook As Excel.Workbook
Dim exSheet As Excel.Worksheet

Set exApp = CreateObject("excel.Application")
Set exBook = exApp.Workbooks.Open(Path...)
Set exSheet = exBook.Sheets(1)

....(some process)

exApp.Quit
Set exSheet = Nothing
Set exBook = Nothing
Set exApp = Nothing

Checking with Task Manager verifies that the application
was removed however in the processes tab a process of
Excel is not destroyed and keeps on running.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks
Josh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the reply.
I tried it both ways, visible and not visible. Both result
the same. Forgot to mention though that it occurrs in
WIN2K and XP. I did not try any previous OS.
Thanks anyways.

.