Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to record Keystrokes instead of keystroke actions

Has Micorsoft ever added back the functionality of recording keystrokes
instead of keystroke actions?

I am trying to massage a large text file that I've brought into Excel.
Excel makes it easy to compare one file with another.

I record a macro to:
F2 to Edit a cell,
SHIFT + HOME to select all of the text in the cell,
CTRL-X to MOVE the text into the clipboard,
UP ARROW to get to the above cell,
F2 to edit this cell
CTRL+V to paste previously copied text to this cell
and ENTER to finalize this cell

When I play this back on the next pair of cells, either the concatentated
text of the forst cell ends up in the new cell, or the text that was in the
original first cell is copied to the end of the new second cell.

When I look at the Macro editor, I see not keystrokes but keystroke actions.
Seems like there was a script editor that use to do what I'm looking for,
but I guess Mr. Gates eliminated this many Excel versions ago.

Can any one help?

--
DonD'Cajun
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

VBA, and the Excel 4 macro language before it, is and always was a
programming language. Perhaps you were thinking of 1-2-3.

Anyway, this does what I think you want:

With ActiveCell
.Offset(-1).Formula = .Formula
.ClearContents
End With

--
Jim
"DonD''Cajun" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,

Thanks for the post. I'll try out your suggestion.

I am not thinking of 1-2-3. Back in the windows 3.x and perhaps 95 days, MS
had a key stroke recorder. I think it was named either Script or Recorder.
It worked in one or two versions of Windows after MS dropped it in favor of
the programing languages, but eventually stopped working in a subsequent
version.

I use to do some basic programing with QuickBasic, but never made the
transition to Visual Basic. I really hated that Bill Gates dropped the
keystroke recorder in favor of the key action recorder. Over the last 20
years or so, I've wasted tons and tons of time that having a keystroke
recorder could have saved.

I realize that the programing languages are powerful, but if you don't know
how to use them, your stuck!
--
DonDCajun

"DonD''Cajun" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Back in the windows 3.x and perhaps 95 days, MS had a key stroke recorder

Yes, I do remember that. No doubt it can be useful.

--
Jim