Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ian Ian is offline

Default Conditional Dat Validation input

I want to create a cell data validation input based on a list but make it
conditional on a yes/no selection

Example, two columns :

Col A Col B
-------- ------------
Yes Prod x
No Item a
No Prod f
Yes Item g
No item b

The above lists are variable and cannot be sorted, but have assigned range
names, rngYesNo = a1:a5, rngList = b1:b5.

What I am trying to do is create a cell data validation elsewhere in
worksheet which will only show the items in rngList which have a Yes in
column A ; so in the above example it would only show Prod x and Item g.

thanks,
--
Regards & Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ian wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Dave, I looked at this, and from what I can tell, what Ian's asking
for cannot be found on Debra's site. I'm not sure it can be done
without some changes to the worksheet first. VLookup can't be used as
the list isn't sorted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You're right. A couple more named lists would need to be created.

One with just yes and no
One with the options related to yes
one with the options related to no

But the original lists don't have to change (that's a stretch, huh? <bg).

Ian wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ian Ian is offline

Many thanks... managed to get this to work based on the example suggested.

--
Regards & Thanks

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

You could create lists from formulas, as in the sample file he

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0048 - Dynamic Dependent Dropdowns
from Unsorted List'

Ian wrote:
I want to create a cell data validation input based on a list but make it
conditional on a yes/no selection

Example, two columns :

Col A Col B
-------- ------------
Yes Prod x
No Item a
No Prod f
Yes Item g
No item b

The above lists are variable and cannot be sorted, but have assigned range
names, rngYesNo = a1:a5, rngList = b1:b5.

What I am trying to do is create a cell data validation elsewhere in
worksheet which will only show the items in rngList which have a Yes in
column A ; so in the above example it would only show Prod x and Item g.

thanks,

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures