Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Referencing Cells

Thanks in advance.

I have a set of data in excel:

Column A B C

Row 1: X Y Z
Row 2: F G H
Row 3: K L X

In another sheet, I'd like to reference these cells with "key" words.
For example, if my key word is Alpha, the First set of data should
appear in that row automatically in the new sheet (in the three
different columns, of course). Beta, the second set of data, and so
on.

How would I do this?

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Hi APTEM.MOKA -

One way to do this would be to use range names as your "keywords" on the
data sheet. You could then use the range names in a single-cell case of the
OFFSET function in formulas on the second sheet.

1. Select cells in the row you want to name with a keyword and type a name
in the Name Box (the box immediately above the "A" column label on the
worksheet frame). For example, select A1, A2,and A3 in your example and type
the keyword "Alpha" in the Name Box.

2. On the second sheet, type the following formulas in the cells of your
choice:

A B C
=offset(Alpha,0,0,1,1) =offset(Alpha,0,1,1,1) =offset(Alpha,0,2,1,1)

Lookup "offset function" in the Excel Help system for the full details on
this function.
--
Jay

" wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I have a set of data in excel:

Column A B C

Row 1: X Y Z
Row 2: F G H
Row 3: K L X

In another sheet, I'd like to reference these cells with "key" words.
For example, if my key word is Alpha, the First set of data should
appear in that row automatically in the new sheet (in the three
different columns, of course). Beta, the second set of data, and so
on.

How would I do this?

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can also use a variable to identify the range:
Alpha = Worksheets(1).Range("A1:A3")
Then to move it to Worksheets(2):
Alpha.Copy Worksheets(2).Range("A1")
Will display the entire Alpha range on ws2.