Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How can I stop date formatting?

I have a spreadsheet that collects data that I load directly into a database.
There is a column, "eff date" which I use to collect what look like dates,
but they are really strings (database requirement). I've set the number
format for the eff date column to "Text". This is working as far as typical
data entry goes. Example:

Eff Date
2007-03-01
9999-12-31
2001-10-10

But when users do a find/replace on this column, and for example, replace
all the 9999-12-31 values with 2010-12-31, it reformats the 2010-12-31 to
12/31/2010, changes the cell from "Text" to "Date". Then I can't import it
into the database without additional manipulation.

Is there any way I can programmatically through vba shut off this date
formatting off on find/replace? I'm working with Excel 2003.

--
Thanks,

Bruce Bolio

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's what I wound up doing, I was hoping there was something more elegant.
Thanks!

--
Thanks,

Bruce Bolio