Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Referring to a named range

Hi there,

is it possible within a formulae to refer to a named range, not by
stating the named range, but by refering to a cell, where the contents
of a cell is a named range?

For eg, if cells a1 to a5 contain numbers and I name that reference
Col_A, then if I want the total I can just type = sum(Col_A).

Now I want to do exactly the same thing, but instead of the name Col_A
in the formulae, I want to use a reference. Thus in cell B1 I have the
words Col_A. The formulae =sum(b1) obviously doesnt work. Something like
= sum(name(b1)) ?

Regards

Darin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Use following formula

=SUM(INDIRECT(B1))

--
Haldun Alay

"Darin Kramer" , haber iletisinde sunlari

Hi there,

is it possible within a formulae to refer to a named range, not by
stating the named range, but by refering to a cell, where the contents
of a cell is a named range?

For eg, if cells a1 to a5 contain numbers and I name that reference
Col_A, then if I want the total I can just type = sum(Col_A).

Now I want to do exactly the same thing, but instead of the name Col_A
in the formulae, I want to use a reference. Thus in cell B1 I have the
words Col_A. The formulae =sum(b1) obviously doesnt work. Something like
= sum(name(b1)) ?

Regards

Darin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming