Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Auto Open

I have a couple of macros in my personal.xls that open when I open excel.
However, there are reports that are brought in from another application and
opened with excel. When the spreadsheet opens that way, these macros are not
available.

They are definately in my personal.xls and i've also made it an addin. I
can't find a way to activate that add-in. Any suggestions? I'd like to make
these available to the rest of my dept as well. I've even thought of adding
a menu item.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

After excel is opened (and personal.xls is not opened), just use:
File|Open and point at your XLStart folder and open that personal.xls.

Be careful with sharing files named personal.xls.

If any of the recipients have their own personal.xls file, then your file may
overwrite their files. And if they have important stuff in their files, you
could cause heart-ache and pain.

Instead close excel.
Find that personal.xls file (use windows start button|Search)
And name it something else (CVUtils.xls)

Then either move that file (or copy that file) to the network share.

Tell your users to open that file whenever they need to use the macros.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Dave.

How can I program it to automatically open when Excel is opened. Whether I
open Excel, or another application opens it to drop in a report?

CV323 wrote:

I have a couple of macros in my personal.xls that open when I open excel.
However, there are reports that are brought in from another application and
opened with excel. When the spreadsheet opens that way, these macros are not
available.

They are definately in my personal.xls and i've also made it an addin. I
can't find a way to activate that add-in. Any suggestions? I'd like to make
these available to the rest of my dept as well. I've even thought of adding
a menu item.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you have control over that other application, you may be able to include code
in that application that opens your personal.xls file. (or ask the developer to
include it???)

If you don't have control over that other application, then it's a manual
effort.