Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default schema.ini file

Is there a way to automatically create a schema.ini file from a text
database in Excel or Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

An ini file is just a text file, so the answer is most likely "yes": use the built-in file access functionality.

If you can expand on your question/requirements (what is a "Schema.ini" file?) you'll get more detailed answers.

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"dothvader" wrote in message oups.com...
Is there a way to automatically create a schema.ini file from a text
database in Excel or Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210001

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"Tim Williams" <timjwilliams at gmail dot com wrote in message ...
An ini file is just a text file, so the answer is most likely "yes": use the built-in file access functionality.

If you can expand on your question/requirements (what is a "Schema.ini" file?) you'll get more detailed answers.

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"dothvader" wrote in message oups.com...
Is there a way to automatically create a schema.ini file from a text
database in Excel or Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 26, 2:43 pm, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-
This-.com wrote:
The windows API provides access to read and write ini files. Here are the
declarations. I also have a file that demonstrates how they can be used (it
is a little too involved to post the code...). If you want a copy of the file
just drop me an e-mail...

Public Declare Function GetPrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" Alias
"GetPrivateProfileStringA" ( _
ByVal lpApplicationName As String, _
ByVal lpKeyName As Any, _
ByVal lpDefault As String, _
ByVal lpReturnedString As String, _
ByVal nSize As Long, _
ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

Declare Function WritePrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32.dll" Alias
"WritePrivateProfileStringA" ( _
ByVal lpApplicationName As String, _
ByVal lpKeyName As Any, _
ByVal lpString As Any, _
ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"dothvader" wrote:
Is there a way to automatically create a schema.ini file from a text
database in Excel or Access?

Perhaps it would be best if I restated my problem. I am trying to use
a coma delimited text database in a Frontpage asp web based structure.
To avoid the usual question of Why don't you use an mdb file with
Access?, I will tell you that the file is donwloaded to my serveer
automatically from anthoer server in this format. The problem is when
I try and use the Frontpage wizard to interface the txt datbase into
the asp web page I get an error message that says that I need a
schema.ini file. I understand the purpose of this file but I was
interested to know whether it can be created automatically by either
Excel or Access?