Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to control updating of random numbers

I have created a simple worksheet to help my kids practice math facts using
the "randbetween" function, but I also have an IF-THEN-ELSE to show them if
they are right. The problem is that as soon as they enter their values, new
values are generated and their answer is no longer correct. I went into the
options and made calculations manual, but then the answer is not updated
either.

Is there an easy way to select cells to update automatically (or after
pressing a button with a macro) while leaving the others with their original
values?
=randbetween(-12,12)
x =randbetween(-12,12)

=IF(B3=B1*B2,"Great!","Try Again")

I would like cells B1 and B2 to only be updated manually, but I would like
B4 to be updated either automatically or when they are finished with a sheet
and hit a button that says "Check answers" or something like that.

Thanks!

--
Jeff Ciaccio
Sprayberry High School

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

With Calculation set to Manual
From the Immediate Window:

? Range("B4").Calculate

Seems to work, So you could
Add a Forms Command Button
and assign the Macro named

UpdateB4

In a standard Module as follows

Sub UpdateB4
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B4").Calculate
End Sub

"JC Home" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jeff,
I made up a "Math Practice" worksheet using macros.
It provides random numbers between -12 and 12 in B5:C20
with column D for answers (multiplication) and column E with
the answer prompt.
Has two buttons on the sheet: New Test and Check Answers.
It might be of some help or give you some ideas for your own solution.
Glad to send it along. Email me at XX
(remove XXX from email address)
--
Jim Cone