Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Question for Jim Thomlinson

Thank you for pointing out that I should use the code name - rather than tab
name - how would the following code be change to use code name - rather than
tab name?

Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < "Input" And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That code is just fine. At no point does it rely on the tab name of the
sheets in your workbook.

In the excel object hierarchy there is the Worksheet object and the
Worksheets collection (note the s in the latter object). What your code is
doing is it is taking a worksheet object and using that to traverse the
worksheets collection. At no time are you refering to the sheets by their tab
name which is dangerous since user have access to change the tab names.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Brad" wrote:

Thank you for pointing out that I should use the code name - rather than tab
name - how would the following code be change to use code name - rather than
tab name?

Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < "Input" And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay - I changed sheet1 which was the input sheet to shtInput

Then
Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < "shtInput" And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next
End Sub

Prints out the input page and the two output pages

If I make the code
Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < shtInput And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next
End Sub

I get an error message

"Brad" wrote:

Thank you for pointing out that I should use the code name - rather than tab
name - how would the following code be change to use code name - rather than
tab name?

Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < "Input" And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

that is because shtInput probably isn't the code name of the sheet with the
tab name of "ShtInput"

go into the project explorer in the VBE (alt+F11). In the list worksheets,
you will probably see

Sheet3 (ShtInput)

use whatever value I have portrayed here as Sheet3.

Tom Ogilvy

"Brad" wrote:

Thank you for pointing out that I should use the code name - rather than tab
name - how would the following code be change to use code name - rather than
tab name?

Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < "Input" And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

Jim suggested that I go into the properties window in VBE and rename the
worksheet from sheet1 to something that describes the tab more. I did not
change the tab name, that remained the same. The reason that he suggested
doing this the my macros, that I've set up, should used the code name not the
tab name (because users can change the tab name). I was able to change the
code name in the properties section - but having difficulties making the
macro's work.

Does this help???

"Brad" wrote:

Thank you for pointing out that I should use the code name - rather than tab
name - how would the following code be change to use code name - rather than
tab name?

Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < "Input" And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Give this a try...

Sub Print_pages()
Dim sht As Worksheet
For Each sht In Worksheets
If sht.Name < shtInput.Name And sht.Visible = True Then
sht.PrintOut
End If
Next
End Sub

ShtInput refers directly to the sheet object. What you need to do is to
check the name property of sht against the name property of shtInput...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson