Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Default Count only Mon-Thurs?

I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date would be a
certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work week is four
10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a color-code for the
Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure out how to
count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each date on open
be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How about a user-defined function?

Public Function DueDate(OrderDate As Date, WorkdaysLater As Integer)
As Date
Dim iCt As Integer
Dim iCt2 As Integer
Do
iCt = iCt + 1
If Weekday(OrderDate + iCt) 1 And _
Weekday(OrderDate + iCt) < 6 Then iCt2 = iCt2 + 1
Loop Until iCt2 = WorkdaysLater
DueDate = Format(OrderDate + iCt, "m/d/yy")
End Function

Hth,
Merjet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ed,

For data validation and conditional formatting, use

=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A1)=2,WEEKDAY(A1)<=5),TRUE,FALSE)

This returns True or False indicating whether A1 is between Monday and
Thursday.

To count the number of dates in A1:A10 that are between Monday and Thursday,
use

=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A10)=2)*(WEEKDAY(A1:A10)< =5))

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ed" wrote in message
I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date would be
a certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work week is
four 10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a color-code for
the Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure out how to
count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each date on
open be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Chip:

Thanks for the help, but I'm not sure I know how to make this work.

I put 2/20/2007 in A1, 2/22/2007 in B1, and Conditional Formatting in B1
with Formula Is
="SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A10)=2)*(WEEKDAY(A1:A10) <=5))<3"
should turn the cell yellow. It did not. I tried changing B1 to
2/27/2007 - still no go.

What did I miss?

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date would be
a certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work week is
four 10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a color-code for
the Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure out how
to count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each date on
open be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Merjet:

I've never used a UDF before. I thinking I would name a range OrderDate and
put a date in it, then in the Due Date column put the formula
=DueDate(OrderDate)"? Did I come close?

Ed

"merjet" wrote in message
ups.com...
How about a user-defined function?

Public Function DueDate(OrderDate As Date, WorkdaysLater As Integer)
As Date
Dim iCt As Integer
Dim iCt2 As Integer
Do
iCt = iCt + 1
If Weekday(OrderDate + iCt) 1 And _
Weekday(OrderDate + iCt) < 6 Then iCt2 = iCt2 + 1
Loop Until iCt2 = WorkdaysLater
DueDate = Format(OrderDate + iCt, "m/d/yy")
End Function

Hth,
Merjet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you only need the one Weekday formula -

(Weekday(ref-date,3) <=3) ' true if Mon-Thurs

It's not clear under what condition(s) you want your CF in B1 to flag. In
your example B1 is not in the formula so changing B1 will do nothing.

Regards,
Peter T

"Ed" wrote in message
I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date would

be
a certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work week is
four 10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a color-code

for
the Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure out how
to count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each date on
open be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've never used a UDF before. I thinking I would name a range OrderDate and
put a date in it, then in the Due Date column put the formula
=DueDate(OrderDate)"? Did I come close?

You use it like Excel' worksheet function.

That's close, but it has two inputs. Suppose cell A2 holds an order
date, and you want a due date 10 days later. In another cell, put the
formula: =DueDate(A2, 10)

Hth,
Merjet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

In your example B1 is not in the formula so changing B1 will do nothing.
Thanks, Peter. _Now_ I see that!

It's not clear under what condition(s) you want your CF in B1 to flag.

I'm trying to get B1 to turn yellow if the date in B1 is less than 3 days
from A1, but only counting days Mon-Thurs. So a date of 2/20/2007 in A1
should give me a yellow cell up to 2/26/2007 in B1, and a white cell after
that.

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date would

be
a certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work week is
four 10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a color-code

for
the Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure out
how
to count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this
easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each date on
open be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the VB Editor, use the menu Insert | Module. That adds Module1. Put
the function there.

Merjet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

So isn't that simply
(date2 - date1) < 7 yellow condition
or
(date2 - date1) 6 white condition
where date2 is the later date

or am I missing something

Regards,
Peter T

"Ed" wrote in message
I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date

would
be
a certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work week

is
four 10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a

color-code
for
the Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure out
how
to count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this
easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each date

on
open be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Module!! D'oh!!

Works great! Thank you!

Ed

"merjet" wrote in message
oups.com...
In the VB Editor, use the menu Insert | Module. That adds Module1. Put
the function there.

Merjet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

or am I missing something
I'm only counting Mon-Thurs. If the time range for a particular item is
three days, an incoming date of Tues 2/20/07 will have the third day on
Thurs 2/22/07, but an incoming date of Wed 2/21/07 will have the third day
on Mon 2/26/07.

Maybe this is not as hard as I think it is, and I'm missing a simple little
thing that will do the trick.
Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date

would
be
a certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work week

is
four 10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a

color-code
for
the Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure out
how
to count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this
easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each date

on
open be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm getting confused as to where you count days from.

The date difference between Thurs-Mon in the same week is 3.
My original understanding this is within the 0 to 3 difference, Thurs is the
3rd day 'after' Mon, and within the span that triggers your yellow CF. If
this the correct interpretation of what you want test my previous
suggestion.

However below you imply a date difference of 2 is the largest that satisfies
the condition (not withstanding Fri-Sun which will need tb excluded).

Perhaps give unambiguous pairs of examples with dates in same week and
spanning a weekend that just pass and just fail the condition.

Regards,
Peter T

"Ed" wrote in message
I would like to create a Task Sheet with Due Dates. The Due Date

would
be
a certain number of working days from the Order Date. Our work

week
is
four 10-hour days, Monday - Thursday. I wanted to set up a

color-code
for
the Due Date with data validation, but got lost trying to figure

out
how
to count only Mon-Thurs, or not count Fri, Sat and Sun?? Is this
easily
possible with validation? Or would a macro that evaluates each

date
on
open be better?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Peter:

Thanks for keeping with me on this, but I think maybe I need to bow out and
take a fresher look at this. I've found that when I have to give this much
clarification, it's usually because *I* don't understand completely what I'm
trying to do, and I run people in circles trying to help me. When I get a
better handle on the task, if I still can't get it I'll post back.

With great appreciation for all the time!