Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ASSIGNING THE VALUE TO A NAMED RANGE GIVING OBJECT DEFINED ERROR

DEAR ALL

I intended to use the result of RCOUNT variable to various other
procedures.

So I have named a cell by name REF_NUMBR.

Flg is the vb code:
Set COL_F = Range("F5.F20")
RCOUNT = Application.CountA(COL_F)
100 Names("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT

but at line 100 it gives error saying application-defined or object-
defined error.
Then I made it as activeworkbook.Names("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT
and it accepts.

Instead of the above if i use Range("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT
it takes the value.

Earlier i was using activesheet.range("a1").value = RCOUNT and was
referring to this range.

Pls advice how to use the line 100 correctly using the 'NAMES' and
shortest code.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 16, 8:56 am, "CAPTGNVR" wrote:
DEAR ALL

I intended to use the result of RCOUNT variable to various other
procedures.

So I have named a cell by name REF_NUMBR.

Flg is the vb code:
Set COL_F = Range("F5.F20")
RCOUNT = Application.CountA(COL_F)
100 Names("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT

but at line 100 it gives error saying application-defined or object-
defined error.
Then I made it as activeworkbook.Names("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT
and it accepts.

Instead of the above if i use Range("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT
it takes the value.

Earlier i was using activesheet.range("a1").value = RCOUNT and was
referring to this range.

Pls advice how to use the line 100 correctly using the 'NAMES' and
shortest code.

Line numbers in this case are really labels. to use it put a colon
after it.

100: Names("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT

But this line defines your named range "REF_NUMBR" = COUNTA
In other words, your range doesn't mean anything. Were you trying to
set a cell value to COUNTA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Names("REF_NUMBR").referstorange.Value = RCOUNT

But I like:
worksheets("Somesheet").range("ref_number").value = rcount

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 16, 11:48 pm, "Don Guillett" wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something. Try

Sub countcolf()
range("REF_NUMBR").value= Application.CountA(range("f5:f20"))

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message

ups.com...

DEAR ALL

I intended to use the result of RCOUNT variable to various other
procedures.

So I have named a cell by name REF_NUMBR.

Flg is the vb code:
Set COL_F = Range("F5.F20")
RCOUNT = Application.CountA(COL_F)
100 Names("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT

but at line 100 it gives error saying application-defined or object-
defined error.
Then I made it as activeworkbook.Names("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT
and it accepts.

Instead of the above if i use Range("REF_NUMBR").Value = RCOUNT
it takes the value.

Earlier i was using activesheet.range("a1").value = RCOUNT and was
referring to this range.

Pls advice how to use the line 100 correctly using the 'NAMES' and
shortest code.

Thnk u Don. Actually i find it difficult to put it down in writing in
this forum. Luckily i got the answer from Mr. Dave. I wanted to know
how to use the Name property as i was getting error when i use. Now
this thread i can consider closed once i get from Dave how to set a
variable to the whole line defining the range.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CAPTGNVR wrote:

[...]

Thnk u Dave. Frankly on this ship I have learnt so many things thro
this forum thanks to u. I got what i wanted. How to use the property
names. It worked. Can u take me to the next step?? Instead of
writing the whole thing like ---
worksheets("Somesheet").range("ref_number").value = rcount--- can u
suggest how to set this as public and set a variable so that i can
reference this without having the need to type the whole thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 16, 11:21 pm, "okrob" wrote:
[...]

thnk u OKROB. But the line number i am not using it in the VB. I
missed to tell that i used here in this just to refer the line.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dim myImportantCell as range
'or outside the procedure
'Public myImportantCell as range
set myimportantcell = worksheets("Somesheet").range("ref_number")
myimportantcell.value = rcount

You'll want to use a shorter, more meaningful name for that cell.

CAPTGNVR wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CAPTGNVR wrote:

[...]

Thank u v/much Dave. Custom made and clearly ustood how to do it.