Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Might be Formatting

Hi All

We have a worksheet that lists Customer invoices the breakdown is from
Column A to Column M and rows 1-500 and every month we send an invoice to
each customer. In Column M when the customer settles their invoice I enter
the letter P in the cell, so that we know its been paid. It would be a time
saver after entering the Letter P if all the Cells A:L on that row would
change colour. A quick scroll down to row 500 would then tell us who was paid
up or in default. Tried Conditional Formatting but it won't let me use a
range for some reason beyond my capabilities.

--
Many thanks

hazel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select A1:L500
Goto menu FormatConditional Formatting
Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
Add a formula of =$M1="P"
Click Format
Select the Pattern tab
Choose a colour
OK
OK

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Hazel" wrote in message
Hi All

We have a worksheet that lists Customer invoices the breakdown is from
Column A to Column M and rows 1-500 and every month we send an invoice to
each customer. In Column M when the customer settles their invoice I enter
the letter P in the cell, so that we know its been paid. It would be a
time
saver after entering the Letter P if all the Cells A:L on that row would
change colour. A quick scroll down to row 500 would then tell us who was
paid
up or in default. Tried Conditional Formatting but it won't let me use a
range for some reason beyond my capabilities.

--
Many thanks

hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

yes you can use conditional formatting...........

highlight a1:m1 & click conditional formatting
choose "formula is"
and paste this formula in
=ISTEXT($P1)
select your formatting (in this case, shading).
then copy row a1:m1
& paste down through row 500 using paste special - paste formats.
then when you enter ANYTHING in column p, the whole row
will shade whatever color you choose. if you want it to also include
column p, then select a1:p1 before you conditionally format.
hth!
susan

On Feb 12, 11:19 am, Hazel wrote:
Hi All

We have a worksheet that lists Customer invoices the breakdown is from
Column A to Column M and rows 1-500 and every month we send an invoice to
each customer. In Column M when the customer settles their invoice I enter
the letter P in the cell, so that we know its been paid. It would be a time
saver after entering the Letter P if all the Cells A:L on that row would
change colour. A quick scroll down to row 500 would then tell us who was paid
up or in default. Tried Conditional Formatting but it won't let me use a
range for some reason beyond my capabilities.

--
Many thanks

hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pick any cell in row 1 and enter conditional formatting:
Foumla is
=$P1="P"

then copy this cell and paste/special/format across the row. Then copy the
formats for any other rows.
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200705

"Hazel" wrote:

Hi All

We have a worksheet that lists Customer invoices the breakdown is from
Column A to Column M and rows 1-500 and every month we send an invoice to
each customer. In Column M when the customer settles their invoice I enter
the letter P in the cell, so that we know its been paid. It would be a time
saver after entering the Letter P if all the Cells A:L on that row would
change colour. A quick scroll down to row 500 would then tell us who was paid
up or in default. Tried Conditional Formatting but it won't let me use a
range for some reason beyond my capabilities.

--
Many thanks

hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks everybody

My gaffer thinks I'm brill -- little does he know -- I know some great Excel
programmers out there on thinternet.

--
Many thanks

hazel

"Hazel" wrote in message
Hi All

We have a worksheet that lists Customer invoices the breakdown is from
Column A to Column M and rows 1-500 and every month we send an invoice to
each customer. In Column M when the customer settles their invoice I enter
the letter P in the cell, so that we know its been paid. It would be a
time
saver after entering the Letter P if all the Cells A:L on that row would
change colour. A quick scroll down to row 500 would then tell us who was
paid
up or in default. Tried Conditional Formatting but it won't let me use a
range for some reason beyond my capabilities.

--
Many thanks

hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That was my leg-pull, I assumed, but wasn't sure, that you were from 'Up
t'North'.

Bob

"Hazel" wrote in message
Hi Bob