Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Choosing the Version of Excel when opening an instance

I'm using vba with ms project and excel, pulling the tasks from project to
excel. I have excel 2007 and 2003 installed on my computer. By default
when I use
Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
xlApp.Visible = True
AppActivate "Microsoft Excel"

The 2007 version is used. I would like to use the 2003 version. Any help
is appreciated.

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try using

Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application.11")

Regards,

Juan Pablo González

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm using vba with ms project and excel, pulling the tasks from project to
excel. I have excel 2007 and 2003 installed on my computer. By default
when I use
Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
xlApp.Visible = True
AppActivate "Microsoft Excel"

The 2007 version is used. I would like to use the 2003 version. Any help
is appreciated.

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You might try re-registering Excel 2003. From Start-Run enter:

<Full path to Excel 2003\Excel.exe /regserver

--
Jim
"Dave" wrote in message
| I'm using vba with ms project and excel, pulling the tasks from project to
| excel. I have excel 2007 and 2003 installed on my computer. By default
| when I use
| Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
| xlApp.Visible = True
| AppActivate "Microsoft Excel"
|
| The 2007 version is used. I would like to use the 2003 version. Any help
| is appreciated.
|
| Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Weird, I don't have a machine with both of them installed, but on the
machine with 2007, that line creates a run time error, only when I change it
to Excel.Application.12 it works.

So, try what Jim Rech said and see if that helps.

Regards,

Juan Pablo González

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm using vba with ms project and excel, pulling the tasks from project
to excel. I have excel 2007 and 2003 installed on my computer. By
default when I use
Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
xlApp.Visible = True
AppActivate "Microsoft Excel"

The 2007 version is used. I would like to use the 2003 version. Any
help is appreciated.

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hmmm...in my references it only shows the office 12 objects, not excel 11.
I did re-register and it still does not show up....

"Dave" wrote in message
| I'm using vba with ms project and excel, pulling the tasks from project
| excel. I have excel 2007 and 2003 installed on my computer. By default
| when I use
| Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
| xlApp.Visible = True
| AppActivate "Microsoft Excel"
|
| The 2007 version is used. I would like to use the 2003 version. Any
help
| is appreciated.
|
| Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, this is what I had to do for it to work.

From Project, I had to disable the current reference I had to Office 12,
browse to the
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11\MSO.dll to add this
reference. Go back and add the Excel 12 reference, make sure that the
office 11 is before the excel 12 and it now works...

Thanks

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm using vba with ms project and excel, pulling the tasks from project to
excel. I have excel 2007 and 2003 installed on my computer. By default
when I use
Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
xlApp.Visible = True
AppActivate "Microsoft Excel"

The 2007 version is used. I would like to use the 2003 version. Any help
is appreciated.

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the number on the end makes no difference - the last registered version is
started.

There is a KB article on this.

Tom Ogilvy