Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Range name problem for DA

SORRY IF THIS IS A 2ND POSTING BY ACCIDENT BUT, IF SO,
PLEASE READ THIS ONE NOT THE PRIOR

A file I have contained one worksheet that was a cosmetically pretty echo of
another of my worksheets that was full of actual inputs, many of which I
range-named. I sent this file to a colleague who wanted me to make the
former worksheet even prettier for his client. He sent the new file back to
me but, since I was continuing with other changes, while he did it, I needed
to simply capture all his cosmetic changes in that one worksheet, which had
only results, no cells that drove anything else. So, I deleted my worksheet
and copied his in. I don't recall getting asked any questions about range
names when I did, but I may have. I then deleted his file from my computer.

In any event, whenever I create a cell with one of these "smart labels",
e..g, "with a value of "&text(v2,"0%")"&"...", where v2 is one of the
range-named input cells, when I try to hit enter, it brings up a dialog box
called "update values: his filename.xls",
looking for me to choose a filename with his filename being some other
filename on his system (his computer and mine are not linked, could it be
sitting in my
temp files?). Whatever I did next, to
deal with that EXCEL reaction, that smart cell then turned to garbage. If I
then go to insert/name/define, instead of the range names I created within
my file, I see the same names but referenced from his modified copy of the
file - to be clear he did not change any range names. I proceeded to delete
them all and then all is fine.... until I create another one of these smart
cells. Then, the problem starts all over again.

Bottom line, it seems that his range names are overtaking mine and keep
finding their way back into my file. Why is this happening and how can I
expunge his range names from my computer.

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just a little update: The range name references I see are to his other
file, not the one he sent me even, the same file it asks me to update values
of. And it doesn't take a complex formula to cause a problem. If I just
set a new cell equal to one of my range named cells, the problem occurs.
Alternatively, I would consider removing all the range names, but if other
cells were set equal to them after they were range named, I think that will
turn them to garbage (like deleting the cell it is looking at). Is there a
way to delete all range names in a file without compromising the
relationships within the file? I could live without the range names, if
need be.

There is no asking for updates when I open the file and edit links is
hushed, so this is strictly a phantom range name problem.

I saw a great link on this but, since I can't get to the file it wants to
see, the solutions proposed don't work.
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/...05/index1.html

Thanks again!
Dean