Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protecting Data Validation List from being modified in the formulabar

Hi all,

I have created a Data Validation List where the source is being taken
from a separate worksheet. Once the worksheet is protected, the user
will select something from the Data Validation List. I have noticed that
the formula bar will display whatever the user selects and it is then
possible for the user to modify this selection. Is is possible to
protect the contents in the formula bar from being modified with VBA code?

Thanks in advance?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If those data|validation rules are still with that cell, the user won't be able
to make a change to the value.

As soon as the user hits enter, the Data|Validation rules will check to see if
that value is on that list.

If it is, then it's ok.

If it isn't, then they'll get the message that you defined in the
data|validation dialog.

About the only thing that the user could change is the case of the string:

Cat
CAT
caT

would all be valid if "cat" is on that list.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,

Maybe it's me but it still doesn't seem to be working.

The Data Validation List is compiled from a listing with the range name
"Numbers". When the user selects one on the items from the list, it
updates a number of other cells. Which works correctly.

If the user then selects the formula bar once the Data Validation List
is selected and modifies the item in the formula bar, then somehow the
item in the cell with the Data Validation List is modified. Can I
protect it in a way for this not to occur?

Thanks.

Maddoktor wrote:
Hi all,

I have created a Data Validation List where the source is being taken
from a separate worksheet. Once the worksheet is protected, the user
will select something from the Data Validation List. I have noticed that
the formula bar will display whatever the user selects and it is then
possible for the user to modify this selection. Is is possible to
protect the contents in the formula bar from being modified with VBA code?

Thanks in advance?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm confused about what's being selected and what's changing.

Say you have your list used for Data|Validation in Sheet2 A1:A10.

And you use that list to validate A1 of Sheet1.

Are you saying that if the user changes A1 of Sheet1, then the list in Sheet2
A1:A10 changes?

If you don't have formulas or macros doing this, then I don't understand how
this could happen.

Maddoktor wrote:
Hi all,

I have created a Data Validation List where the source is being taken
from a separate worksheet. Once the worksheet is protected, the user
will select something from the Data Validation List. I have noticed that
the formula bar will display whatever the user selects and it is then
possible for the user to modify this selection. Is is possible to
protect the contents in the formula bar from being modified with VBA code?

Thanks in advance?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Can you type invalid items directly in the cell?
If so, perhaps the Numbers range contains a blank cell, which would
permit you to enter any value in the cell with data validation.

Maddoktor wrote:

Hi all,

I have created a Data Validation List where the source is being taken
from a separate worksheet. Once the worksheet is protected, the user
will select something from the Data Validation List. I have noticed that
the formula bar will display whatever the user selects and it is then
possible for the user to modify this selection. Is is possible to
protect the contents in the formula bar from being modified with VBA
code?

Thanks in advance?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doh!

I never remember to include blank cells in my list.

To the OP.

It may be better to use a range that expands/contracts with the number of items
in that list.

Debra explains it he
http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

Maddoktor wrote:

Hi all,

I have created a Data Validation List where the source is being taken
from a separate worksheet. Once the worksheet is protected, the user
will select something from the Data Validation List. I have noticed that
the formula bar will display whatever the user selects and it is then
possible for the user to modify this selection. Is is possible to
protect the contents in the formula bar from being modified with VBA
code?

Thanks in advance?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry Dave,

I will try and explain it a little clearer.

List used for Data|Validation is Sheet2 A1:A10 (range name "numbers")
When I change A1, then it correctly recalculate all the necessary cells.
Data|Validation works fine.

If I was to then to select the formula bar and modify whatever is in the
formula bar (while the Data|Validation (A1) is still selected)then the
Data|Validation (A1) automatically modifies to whatever I type in the
formula bar.

Hope this is somewhat clearer. If not, I will work on a different way to
give me the same result as Data|Validation.

Thanks for your help.