Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Phantom VBA Projects (again)

I've seen some people attribute it to early versions of Google
Desktop--although, I've experienced the problem without having that installed.

Gizmo63 wrote:

Hi all,

These well discussed phantom projects that remain even when the workbooks
are closed are a real pain.
Concensus seems to point to add-ins or VSTO items but here's the rub:
Corporately we all have the same build but no others have the same problem
so that's VSTO out of my equation.

Of the other folk with this problem are any of you using Microstrategy
Office, Microstrategy Desktop or FastExcel. Office wise the only thing I have
that no one else does is MSAccess.

These are the unique aspects to my pc.

FastExcel has been removed and the pc rebooted with no effect - could
something be left lurking?
Microstrategy is a pain to remove and reinstall so I'd like to leave this as
a last option.

Peter T's subroutine to kill of the phantoms has no effect either.

Need some help - these ghosts are getting to me!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe just closing and reopening excel will be the thing you'll have to do.

But I can't remember where those ghost projects did anything bad--except for
their existence.

Gizmo63 wrote:

No google installed.

The IT team is VERY protective about what can and can't be installed.

Apart from the stuff listed we all have the same build.

Gizmo63 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I recall, closing and reopening Excel removed the phantoms. But any
workbook that I opened and closed in the restarted Excel would leave behind
another phantom.

They aren't necessarily bad, but they can cause confusion. At one point I
had closed a file, which left a phantom, then reopened it, which meant I had
a phantom and a real VB project. I made a number of edits to the code, then
realized too late I'd made changes to the phantom project, and they were all
lost. So I wouldn't say they're benign.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP