Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error '7' Run out of memory while filling in a cell with a formula

In Excel help, under "specifications", it states that formulas are limited to 1024 characters.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Eduard"
wrote in message
My idea is to write a formula in a cell that makes the addition of different
cells that are not always in the same position. To do that I create a string
where I store the information of the cells to be added in the relative
reference like that:
Data(n, 1, k) = "" & Data(n, 1, k) & "+R[" & i - lim - k & "]C"

where i, lim and k are variables that give the position of the elements to
be added. At the final stage I put all this info in a TOTAL cell like that:
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=" & Data(n, 1, k) & ""

The system runs perfectly for small amount of additions, but when it should
add more than 114 cells then the bug appears: error '7' run out of memory.
Does it exist any solution? Or is it compulsary to split this addition?
Thanks in advance for your time and do not hesitate to ask me further
details if needed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error '7' Run out of memory while filling in a cell with a for

I am not quite sure what you want to do...
In VBA you can use "Cells" to refer to an individual cell just by specifying
the row and column number... Cells( row, col), so that...
Cells( 2, 4 ).Value = 100 places 100 in D2.

You can also use the Offset function to refer to cells that are x rows and y cols
away from the cell...
Cells(2, 4).Offset(2, 2) refers to cell F4.

If you still want to place formulas on the worksheet, you could use shorter
formulas and place them in multiple cells and then sum those cells in your Total cell.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Eduard"
wrote in message
Thanks Jim,

Probably that's the reason. However, I would like to find a proper way than
spliting the calculation. Because just in the stage before the bug, meaning
adding 114 elements, then I can continue manually adding cells in the
formula, probably because then it appears in a much compact way. Is it
possible to write in VBA formulas using the absolute reference?

Thanks in advance

wrote in message
My idea is to write a formula in a cell that makes the addition of different
cells that are not always in the same position. To do that I create a string
where I store the information of the cells to be added in the relative
reference like that:
Data(n, 1, k) = "" & Data(n, 1, k) & "+R[" & i - lim - k & "]C"

where i, lim and k are variables that give the position of the elements to
be added. At the final stage I put all this info in a TOTAL cell like that:
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=" & Data(n, 1, k) & ""

The system runs perfectly for small amount of additions, but when it should
add more than 114 cells then the bug appears: error '7' run out of memory.
Does it exist any solution? Or is it compulsary to split this addition?
Thanks in advance for your time and do not hesitate to ask me further
details if needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Something like this ?
ActiveCell.Formula = "=SUM(B4,D6,C9,E10)"
--
Jim Cone

"Eduard"
wrote in message
what I mean is that with the method I am using now I have to refer to cells
like that: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = +R[-xxx]C[+yyy] or something like that.
If I could use something like +F321 it would be much shorter and probably fit
in the 1024 characters limitation. Is that assumption possible?