Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
crs crs is offline

Default Keep value after deleting original information

Scenario:
I'm working on a student grade tracking workbook
Sheet 1 is a list of students and their grades for particular tests in
a certain class.
Sheet 2 is the same as sheet 1 but for a different class.
Sheet 3 is an overall list of students and all of their grades.

Problem:
The problem is that there will come a time when a student will be
deleted from Sheet 1 or Sheet 2, but will remain on the other Sheet.
I need to be able to keep their grades on Sheet 3 even after they are
deleted from one of the two sheets.
As long as they are listed on one sheet, I need their grades to remain
on Sheet 3 from both sheets.

Is this possible, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
CRS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sheet3, before deleting the student from sheet1 or sheet2, select his/her
row and do

Edit=Copy
Edit=Paste Special, then Values

this replaces the formulas with hard coded values.

Tom Ogilvy

"crs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Scenario:
I'm working on a student grade tracking workbook
Sheet 1 is a list of students and their grades for particular tests in
a certain class.
Sheet 2 is the same as sheet 1 but for a different class.
Sheet 3 is an overall list of students and all of their grades.

Problem:
The problem is that there will come a time when a student will be
deleted from Sheet 1 or Sheet 2, but will remain on the other Sheet.
I need to be able to keep their grades on Sheet 3 even after they are
deleted from one of the two sheets.
As long as they are listed on one sheet, I need their grades to remain
on Sheet 3 from both sheets.

Is this possible, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
CRS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
crs crs is offline

Edit=Copy
Edit=Paste Special, then Values

this replaces the formulas with hard coded values.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I thought about that, but then I was thinking that there would come a
time when that student would need to be deleted from the "overall" list
also. At that time, I would need the formulas to be there for future
students. I guess I could just leave the students on the "overall"
sheet if I had to, but then there would be "sorting" issues once my
list got excessively long.