Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2002 SP3 and VBA

As Jim and JLatham have said, VBA ought to be with us for a while. VSTO and
dot net are overkill for Excel based utilities, while VBA is very powerful
in its own right.

As they also have said, you'd better test the heck out of your app in Excel
2007. While VBA is mostly unchanged, there are subtle differences which will
kill your app. Particularly if you do much with shapes and charts. Simple
things seem to work fine, but other equally simple things wreak havoc. I
have only one client to date using 2007, and so far we've identified more
issues than we've been able to work around.

So test your program in 2007, and when you're done testing, test some more.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"RonF" wrote in message
First let me say that I am a total novice as far as VBA is concerned and
how
it runs under various versions of Excel.

My company has a "commercial" data application that is an Excel
spreadsheet
with underlying VBA code that is very, very complicated.

We are now trying to determine what, if any, issues do we face with
upcoming
releases of Vista and Office 2007. In other words, if the VBA is written
with our Excel 2002 and sent to clients, will there be any issues if
clients
are using newer operating systems or newer versions of Excel? So far,
things
seem to work just fine, but we're not sure what might be looming out there
that we don't see.

Lastly, given Microsoft's emphasis on the .NET languages, is VBA on the
"short list" for being no longer supported assuming that VBA programmers
will
be migrating to VB.net applications and using it instead?

Again, I aplogize for not being fluent or knowledgeable on VBA but the
articles that I have found on Google and Microsoft don't seem to answer
the
questions. Could be that I was searching on the right key words.

Therefore, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron