Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default checking for a numeric value in a textbox

Hi.

I have a couple of textboxes on a vb form. For these, I need the value
entered to be sure to be numeric.

What's the best way to check for that?

application.isnumber(txtBox.value) returns false... becauese it thinks its
text.

the Val(txtBox.value) function does some checking, but it will tell you that
Val(5a) = 5, etc.

I think one time I did some checking on the len of Val(), as compared to the
original len of the entry, but that probably has holes too.

Please point me toward the simple way.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If IsNumeric(TextBox1.Value) = True Then
' do nothing
Else
TextBox1.Value = ""
End If

Something like that..If the textbox is on a UserForm you may have to qualify
it more
Me.TextBox1 or UserForm1.TextBox1 etc.
Mike F
"mark" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a couple of textboxes on a vb form. For these, I need the value
entered to be sure to be numeric.

What's the best way to check for that?

application.isnumber(txtBox.value) returns false... becauese it thinks its
text.

the Val(txtBox.value) function does some checking, but it will tell you
that
Val(5a) = 5, etc.

I think one time I did some checking on the len of Val(), as compared to
the
original len of the entry, but that probably has holes too.

Please point me toward the simple way.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

The following works for me:

If Not IsNumeric(Me.TextBox1.Value) Then
MsgBox "not a number"
End If

The other way to do it is to limit the charaters on the text box as in:

Private Sub TextBox1_Change()

Dim ptr As Long
Dim sNew As String
Dim sCur As String
Dim bPoint As Boolean
Dim charOK As Boolean

For ptr = 1 To Len(Me.TextBox1.Value)
charOK = False
sCur = Mid(Me.TextBox1.Value, ptr, 1)
Select Case sCur
Case "0" To "9"
charOK = True
Case "+", "-"
If ptr = 1 Then charOK = True
Case "."
If Not bPoint Then
charOK = True
bPoint = True
End If
End Select

If charOK Then
sNew = sNew & sCur
Else
Beep
End If
Next ptr
Me.TextBox1.Value = sNew
End Sub

This limits the characters that are accepted on input.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"mark" wrote:

Hi.

I have a couple of textboxes on a vb form. For these, I need the value
entered to be sure to be numeric.

What's the best way to check for that?

application.isnumber(txtBox.value) returns false... becauese it thinks its
text.

the Val(txtBox.value) function does some checking, but it will tell you that
Val(5a) = 5, etc.

I think one time I did some checking on the len of Val(), as compared to the
original len of the entry, but that probably has holes too.

Please point me toward the simple way.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/TextBox.htm

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"mark" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a couple of textboxes on a vb form. For these, I need the value
entered to be sure to be numeric.

What's the best way to check for that?

application.isnumber(txtBox.value) returns false... becauese it thinks its
text.

the Val(txtBox.value) function does some checking, but it will tell you
that
Val(5a) = 5, etc.

I think one time I did some checking on the len of Val(), as compared to
the
original len of the entry, but that probably has holes too.

Please point me toward the simple way.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Del foro correspondiente:
Esta macro cotniene unas funciones que se pueden llamar desde cualquier
TextBox
y que limitan los datos que se pueden escribir en el.
Consta de las siguientes Funciones
OnlyNumbers : permite escribir solo numeros en el TextBox
OnlyChar: permite escribir solo letras
MaxChar: limita el numero de caracteres que se pueden escribir en un TextBox
y opcinalmente da un mensaje.

http://www.exceluciones.com/portal/download.php?id=7414

link original:
http://www.exceluciones.com/portal/v...?p=33958#33958

--
Atte.
?T Francisco T?

El verdadero buscador crece y aprende, y descubre que siempre es el
principal responsable de lo que sucede.
Jorge Bucay

La oscuridad nos envuelve a todos, pero mientras el sabio tropieza en alguna
pared, el ignorante permanece tranquilo en el centro de la estancia.
Anatole France

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks everybody.

Don't know why I wasn't seeing the IsNumeric earlier...

And Chip's pages are always good.

Thanks. Got it now.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hola, Francisco,

Gracias.

I can read what you wrote, mostly, but am not good enough in Spanish to
write back well.

Gracias.
Mark