Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Move cells to another column based on value of cell

Hello all,

I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure this out,
hopefully someone can help me. I have a spreadsheet that was generated
by a database program, unfortunately, it did not assign each value to
its own unique column. Instead, it took some of the data and inserted
them into the same column, albeit, onto different rows. To make
matters worse, there isn't even a pattern between rows (i.e. data that
can be moved to it's own column is evenly spaced). Here's a small
example of what I'm trying to do:

The first value BLOOM is a last name value, that stays in Column A, the
value Other and self and spouse are supposed to go into column B, the
value AET11, OXF1, BCBS are abbreviations for insurance companies, they
are supposed to go to column C. To make matters worse, some patients
don't have an insurance, as exampled by the the Bloom Self in the
example below. I have about 45667 rows to parse through.

BLOOM
Other

AET11

BLOOM
Self

OXF1

BLOOM
Self

HLHNET

bloom
Self

BLOOM
Self

OXF1

BLOOMBERG
Spouse

UN

BLOUNT
Spouse

UNITED

BLUM
Self

BCBS

BLUM
Self

BCBS

BLUM
Self

So, since there is no discernable pattern between rows, I am going to
assume that the only way to get Excel to move a cell over would be
telling it to parse column, looking for value of x, where x equals a
keyword, such as Self or Spouse. If it comes across a cell matching my
criteria, move it over one column to the right. If anyone can help me
come up with something, I would be most appreciative.

Regards,

Marvin