Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hide all windows while macro is running

all i've ever needed is:

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

at the beginning of the code and

Application.ScreenUpdating = true

at the end.

--

Gary

"Freddy" wrote in message
My current module opens multiple workbooks, saves them, prints them, then
closes them. My intention is to have all this happen but not see it happening
in the background. I only want to display a status bar message stating that
the macro is running (I have the code to display a status bar message). Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hey, freddy - i've never used a progress bar or anything, but your post
made me wonder - does a progress bar work if you've got
application.screenupdating turned off???
:)
thanks
susan

Freddy wrote:
It look's like it will be all I will ever need as well. Thank you!

"Freddy" wrote in message
My current module opens multiple workbooks, saves them, prints them, then
closes them. My intention is to have all this happen but not see it happening
in the background. I only want to display a status bar message stating that
the macro is running (I have the code to display a status bar message). Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

well, now like the gurus prefer we do BEFORE we ask, we'll have to try
it ourselves!
:^D
ha ha
thanks anyway, & i will experiment, too.
susan

Freddy wrote:
Susan, I'm sorry, I do not know. I decided to, for now, stay away from the
progress bar and just use the status bar as a way to let the user know the
progress of the code. I had trouble understanding how to make the progress
bar work. I may investigate this matter later on.

"Freddy" wrote in message
My current module opens multiple workbooks, saves them, prints them, then
closes them. My intention is to have all this happen but not see it happening
in the background. I only want to display a status bar message stating that
the macro is running (I have the code to display a status bar message). Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

freddy -
using some sample progress bar workbooks that i snagged off the web, if
you add
application.screenupdating=false
before the code & then run it, it works, but if you move the userform
around it leaves a lasting trail of many copies in each position, and
those multiple copies don't go away until it hits

"Freddy" wrote in message
My current module opens multiple workbooks, saves them, prints them, then
closes them. My intention is to have all this happen but not see it happening
in the background. I only want to display a status bar message stating that
the macro is running (I have the code to display a status bar message). Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can change the status bar with screenupdating off, it will still
update. It's a nice way to track progress, for example generating a
string that displays percentage and current item or category being
processed in batch operations.

"Freddy" wrote in message
My current module opens multiple workbooks, saves them, prints them, then
closes them. My intention is to have all this happen but not see it happening
in the background. I only want to display a status bar message stating that
the macro is running (I have the code to display a status bar message). Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JDK JDK is offline

This definately did the trick for me! Seaching for 'screenupdating' didn't
turn up a thing in Excel 2003, though!