Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formula in text formatted cell

I have a spreadsheet with columns A through K filled with text
formatted cells. What I want to do is to Concatenate cell C and D by
inserting a column to the left of C and placing a concatenate formula
in Cell a2 and copying down.

when I do this, all I get is the formula in the cell. In looking at
the format of the inserted column it is formatted as text
automatically.

First of all, should it always pick up the format from the cell to the
right of it when inserted? Secondly, shouldn't it still place the
result of my concatenate formula into the cells even though it is
formatted as text cells?

Thanks so much for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Max Max is offline

Change the col format to either general or number. Then click inside the top
cell with your formula, press ENTER*, then copy down.

*This re-enters your formula. This re-entering needs to be done.
Re-formatting the col alone doesn't re-activate.
--
Max
Singapore
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a spreadsheet with columns A through K filled with text
formatted cells. What I want to do is to Concatenate cell C and D by
inserting a column to the left of C and placing a concatenate formula
in Cell a2 and copying down.

when I do this, all I get is the formula in the cell. In looking at
the format of the inserted column it is formatted as text
automatically.

First of all, should it always pick up the format from the cell to the
right of it when inserted? Secondly, shouldn't it still place the
result of my concatenate formula into the cells even though it is
formatted as text cells?

Thanks so much for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Max. Is this a default in Excel to pick up the format of the
column next to where you are inserting a new column or is this
changeable in your preferences? Just seems sort of weird that just
because I have column A and B formatted as text that if I insert a
column in between them that it automatically picks up the text format.

Max wrote:
Change the col format to either general or number. Then click inside the top
cell with your formula, press ENTER*, then copy down.

*This re-enters your formula. This re-entering needs to be done.
Re-formatting the col alone doesn't re-activate.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a spreadsheet with columns A through K filled with text
formatted cells. What I want to do is to Concatenate cell C and D by
inserting a column to the left of C and placing a concatenate formula
in Cell a2 and copying down.

when I do this, all I get is the formula in the cell. In looking at
the format of the inserted column it is formatted as text
automatically.

First of all, should it always pick up the format from the cell to the
right of it when inserted? Secondly, shouldn't it still place the
result of my concatenate formula into the cells even though it is
formatted as text cells?

Thanks so much for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Max Max is offline

Looks like it (it'll "sense" it from the col just to the right, post
insertion). Not very sure whether this default is changeable. Maybe tinker
around in Tools Options Edit tab
--
Max
Singapore