Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default A lot of #'s in my text-formatted cell...

I want to organize some information in an Excel spreadsheet. In one of the
columns, I want to make notes about a given line of data. I've selected that
column as "Text" and chosen the "Wrap text" option. For a couple of lines, it
works. But for 3 or more, I just get the ##### signs. I'd like to be able to
read my notes as I scroll down. Anyway to resize or reset things so that the
cell will show as much text as I type into it? Thanks.

ddc
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Normally Excel only displays #'s in cells whose column width is too narrow,
and only for cells containing numbers or negative dates (which still are
numbers).

Please show us an example of the text that is in the cell the display's #'s

Also what version of Excel are you using? What happens when you widen the
column? Does the problem go away or just continue?

Also you said the first couple of lines are ok and then the problem begins.
Do you mean that you see a cell that is wrapped and the first lines of that
cell are visible and ok and then right in the middle of the cell you begin
getting #####?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"DeeDeeCee" wrote:

I want to organize some information in an Excel spreadsheet. In one of the
columns, I want to make notes about a given line of data. I've selected that
column as "Text" and chosen the "Wrap text" option. For a couple of lines, it
works. But for 3 or more, I just get the ##### signs. I'd like to be able to
read my notes as I scroll down. Anyway to resize or reset things so that the
cell will show as much text as I type into it? Thanks.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel has trouble with cells formatted as text where the contents are between
255 and 1024 characters.

Try formatting your cell as General (or anything but text) and the ##'s should
go away.

DeeDeeCee wrote:

I want to organize some information in an Excel spreadsheet. In one of the
columns, I want to make notes about a given line of data. I've selected that
column as "Text" and chosen the "Wrap text" option. For a couple of lines, it
works. But for 3 or more, I just get the ##### signs. I'd like to be able to
read my notes as I scroll down. Anyway to resize or reset things so that the
cell will show as much text as I type into it? Thanks.

ddc

--

Dave Peterson