Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Parsing Strings in Excel

I have a list in Excel from A1:A100 with names like the ones mentioned
below:

Michelle Fooo )
Myhaass Smith )

I want to parse them using string functions to the following format

Any ideas how to do this using a formula?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I put your two tests in Cells A1 and A2.

Paste this into a column and fill down:
=MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,FIND(")",A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1)

Cheers,
Jason Lepack

Michael wrote:
I have a list in Excel from A1:A100 with names like the ones mentioned
below:

Michelle Fooo )
Myhaass Smith )

I want to parse them using string functions to the following format

Any ideas how to do this using a formula?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One possible answer in the other group, but if you want the names out as
well then

=REPLACE(MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,LEN(A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1),FIND("@",MID(A1,FIND("(",A1),LEN(A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1)),9,"")

(Assuming first email is in A1)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Michael" wrote in message
I have a list in Excel from A1:A100 with names like the ones mentioned
below:

Michelle Fooo )
Myhaass Smith )

I want to parse them using string functions to the following format

Any ideas how to do this using a formula?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jason

That won't remove the exchange bit (I suspect they've moved servers ;-))

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

s.com...

Michael wrote:
I have a list in Excel from A1:A100 with names like the ones mentioned
below:

Michelle Fooo )
Myhaass Smith )

I want to parse them using string functions to the following format

Any ideas how to do this using a formula?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Or maybe you want them all lower case too

=LOWER(REPLACE(MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,LEN(A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1),FIND("@",MID(A1,FIND("(",A1),LEN(A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1)),9,""))

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Michael" wrote in message
I have a list in Excel from A1:A100 with names like the ones mentioned
below:

Michelle Fooo )
Myhaass Smith )

I want to parse them using string functions to the following format

Any ideas how to do this using a formula?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Michael

How does that remove the 'exchange' part?

--
HTH
Nick Hodge