No, Everyone knows this already 0 0%
No, We get paid to know this. Don't give it away. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Junior Member

Default Parsing Name Strings In Excel

Over the years, I have reached out to the net to get input on how to parse various name strings. Over time I got better at it and recently I put together a sort of Swiss Army Knife of different name parsing formulas as a way of giving something back for what I have learned.

Below is a list of sample names each in a different format. I have written a formula to extract the first name, last name, and middle initial for each sting convention which I will be happy to send you.

This way when you come across a weird name convention you need to parse quickly, you have a formula that will work. Believe me when you get into two first names and two last name, the formula gets kind of ugly. Easier just to copy and paste someone else's work and that is how I am giving back for all the help I received over the years.

Sample Names

James Polk
James K. Polk
James Smith Jr.
James K. Smith Jr.

Billy Ray Cyrus
Billy Ray K. Cyrus
Billy Ray Cyrus Jr.
Billy Ray K. Cyrus Jr.

Martin Van Buren
Martin K. Van Buren
Martin Van Buren Jr.
Martin K. Van Buren Jr.

Jean Claude Van Dame
Jean Claude K. Van Dame
Jean Claude Van Dame Jr.
Jean Claude K. Van Dame Jr.

F. Lee Bailey
F. Lee Bailey Jr.
P.J. O'Rourke
P.J. O'Rourke Jr.

Last edited by Cliff-D : June 10th 10 at 02:09 AM Reason: eliminated some text