Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Newsgroup Reader Advice

I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob, Thank you for your reply. I have Microsoft Outlook (Office XP).
Would you be so kind as to enumerate the steps you would take to
implement an Outlook approach to this newsgroup? Best regards, James
Bob Phillips wrote:
I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Instructions from two sources on setting up Outlook Express
to read/reply to the newsgroups. It is the way to go...
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/

--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Zone"
wrote in message
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

outlook doesn't have a newsreader, outlook express does. do you use windows?
then you have outlook express.

if windows is on your c drive, paste this in the start/run box and use the
quotes

"C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /newsonly
(you can use /outnews instead of newsonly if you want to)

then tools/accounts
click add then news
enter your name, email address
click next
enter news.microsoft.com and click next then finish
subscribe to the ng's you want

make a shortcut to launch the program so you don't have to do the start run all
of the time

--

Gary

ups.com...
Bob Phillips wrote:
I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many thanks, everyone. I seem to have the Outlook Express account set
up now. I can read the posts. But when I try to reply, I get a
baffling dialog box. Not sure how to set that up, so any guidance
there would be great. Regards, James
Gary Keramidas wrote:
outlook doesn't have a newsreader, outlook express does. do you use windows?
then you have outlook express.

if windows is on your c drive, paste this in the start/run box and use the
quotes

"C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /newsonly
(you can use /outnews instead of newsonly if you want to)

then tools/accounts
click add then news
enter your name, email address
click next
enter news.microsoft.com and click next then finish
subscribe to the ng's you want

make a shortcut to launch the program so you don't have to do the start run all
of the time

--

Gary

ups.com...
Bob Phillips wrote:
I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

post the dialog text

--

Gary

ps.com...
Gary Keramidas wrote:
outlook doesn't have a newsreader, outlook express does. do you use windows?
then you have outlook express.

if windows is on your c drive, paste this in the start/run box and use the
quotes

"C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /newsonly
(you can use /outnews instead of newsonly if you want to)

then tools/accounts
click add then news
enter your name, email address
click next
enter news.microsoft.com and click next then finish
subscribe to the ng's you want

make a shortcut to launch the program so you don't have to do the start run
all
of the time

--

Gary

ups.com...
Bob Phillips wrote:
I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct
approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

E-mail Server Names (dialog title)
My incoming mail server is a POP3 (combobox--no idea)
Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server: (textbox -- no idea)
An SMTP server is the server that is used for your outgoing e-mail
(label -- uh, OK)
Outgoing mail (SMTP) server (textbox -- no idea)
Thanks,
James
Gary Keramidas wrote:
post the dialog text

--

Gary

ps.com...
Gary Keramidas wrote:
outlook doesn't have a newsreader, outlook express does. do you use windows?
then you have outlook express.

if windows is on your c drive, paste this in the start/run box and use the
quotes

"C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /newsonly
(you can use /outnews instead of newsonly if you want to)

then tools/accounts
click add then news
enter your name, email address
click next
enter news.microsoft.com and click next then finish
subscribe to the ng's you want

make a shortcut to launch the program so you don't have to do the start run
all
of the time

--

Gary

ups.com...
Bob Phillips wrote:
I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct
approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

that's checking email accounts and yours is set up in outlook, not outlook
express.

did you use the command line i posted to start outlook express? you should not
see the pop3 dialog if you open it in newsgroup only mode.

--

Gary

"Zone" wrote in message
ps.com...
E-mail Server Names (dialog title)
My incoming mail server is a POP3 (combobox--no idea)
Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server: (textbox -- no idea)
An SMTP server is the server that is used for your outgoing e-mail
(label -- uh, OK)
Outgoing mail (SMTP) server (textbox -- no idea)
Thanks,
James
Gary Keramidas wrote:
post the dialog text

--

Gary

ps.com...
Gary Keramidas wrote:
outlook doesn't have a newsreader, outlook express does. do you use
windows?
then you have outlook express.

if windows is on your c drive, paste this in the start/run box and use the
quotes

"C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /newsonly
(you can use /outnews instead of newsonly if you want to)

then tools/accounts
click add then news
enter your name, email address
click next
enter news.microsoft.com and click next then finish
subscribe to the ng's you want

make a shortcut to launch the program so you don't have to do the start
run
all
of the time

--

Gary

ups.com...
Bob Phillips wrote:
I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the
web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct
approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access
newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over
AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice
is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Gary. I did forget the command line. I think I have it fixed
now. Regards, James
Gary Keramidas wrote:
that's checking email accounts and yours is set up in outlook, not outlook
express.

did you use the command line i posted to start outlook express? you should not
see the pop3 dialog if you open it in newsgroup only mode.

--

Gary

"Zone" wrote in message
ps.com...
E-mail Server Names (dialog title)
My incoming mail server is a POP3 (combobox--no idea)
Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server: (textbox -- no idea)
An SMTP server is the server that is used for your outgoing e-mail
(label -- uh, OK)
Outgoing mail (SMTP) server (textbox -- no idea)
Thanks,
James
Gary Keramidas wrote:
post the dialog text

--

Gary

ps.com...
Gary Keramidas wrote:
outlook doesn't have a newsreader, outlook express does. do you use
windows?
then you have outlook express.

if windows is on your c drive, paste this in the start/run box and use the
quotes

"C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /newsonly
(you can use /outnews instead of newsonly if you want to)

then tools/accounts
click add then news
enter your name, email address
click next
enter news.microsoft.com and click next then finish
subscribe to the ng's you want

make a shortcut to launch the program so you don't have to do the start
run
all
of the time

--

Gary

ups.com...
Bob Phillips wrote:
I use a newsreader to go directly to the Usenet newsgroups. I find the
web
portals tiresome, slow, inundated with bits of detail that I am not
interested in, and selective in what they show. Give me the direct
approach
any day. There are many client applications that will access
newsgroups,
Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the Excel
newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader" instead, but
apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be taking over
AOL
web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now), should I
just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any advice
is
appreciated. James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When you reply to a post pick Reply Group. Picking Reply sends an email.

--
Jim
"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
| newsgroups,
| Outlook Express, Forte Agent, to name but 2.
|
| --
| ---
| HTH
|
| Bob
|
| (change the xxxx to gmail if mailing direct)
|

| "Zone" wrote in message
| ups.com...
| I am using Google on AOL to read and reply to posts in the
Excel
| newsgroups. I am told that I should use a "news reader"
instead, but
| apparently I don't get it. Now that Google seems to be
taking over
| AOL
| web browsing (AOL says it's using the Google Browser now),
should I
| just go with G-mail and a full Google-friendly approach? Any

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Very good advice - been there, done that.
'--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Jim Rech"
wrote in message
When you reply to a post pick Reply Group.
Picking Reply sends an email.
--
Jim

"Zone" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Thanks, Gary. I did forget the command line. I think I have it fixed
| now. Regards, James
| Gary Keramidas wrote:
| that's checking email accounts and yours is set up in outlook, not
outlook
| express.
|
| did you use the command line i posted to start outlook express? you
should not
| see the pop3 dialog if you open it in newsgroup only mode.
|| Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Jim. This should be better! James
"Jim Rech" wrote in message
When you reply to a post pick Reply Group. Picking Reply sends an email.

--
Jim
ups.com...