Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with using arrays or just help in general!!!!

I am trying to write a macro that filter about 5000 rows into the
different dates. After filtering the dates from Jan04 to Dec08 it then
copies the rows to a different sheet. After each date range is filtered
it then adds a row to add all costs together. I can do the filtering
part of it. but each time I do it gives me an error telling me that my
macro is too large. That is why I think I need an array. Or actually
anything.
Feel free to tell me if I am an idiot. I want to keep the added rows in
some kind of variable reference because I want to use them in other
macros in the workbook to create graphs and cost analysis. If someone
could help me get started it would be great. I have been working on
this for several days now.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hello there,

I´m not perfectly sure what the result of your filtering is.

Do you create a new workbook/sheet for each date (or a group of dates) or
simply create a filtered result list for further anlysing?

In the second case, there exist several easy ways for your task that are
already available in Excel without VBA.

Besides AdvancedFilter and good old MS Query, I strongly recommend to use a
pivot table with an external reference.
Define the reference range for the table simply by using the columns (e,g,
"$A:$G") so you can refresh it without changing the reference. 5000 Rows do
no harm.

The pivot table gives you all opportunities to filter the data, all kinds of
analysing (much more than simply summing up) and even charts you can filter
intreractively.

Best regards,

Kai Uwe
Cologne, Germany

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ps.com...
I am trying to write a macro that filter about 5000 rows into the
different dates. After filtering the dates from Jan04 to Dec08 it then
copies the rows to a different sheet. After each date range is filtered
it then adds a row to add all costs together. I can do the filtering
part of it. but each time I do it gives me an error telling me that my
macro is too large. That is why I think I need an array. Or actually
anything.
Feel free to tell me if I am an idiot. I want to keep the added rows in
some kind of variable reference because I want to use them in other
macros in the workbook to create graphs and cost analysis. If someone
could help me get started it would be great. I have been working on
this for several days now.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I need something a little more than that though. My excel file is going
to do the following: I have two areas, with 4 foremen, 25 routes, 690
individual wells. Right now I have a jumbled up mess of 5000 lines.
First thing I am doing is filtering the area. I will then filter the
date. I take each group of dates copy and then paste to a new sheet and
add a line that adds the lines from the date ranges. After that I am
going to create a cost analysis sheet with a graph. After I get all
that figured out then I can start working on getting everything sorted
all the way down to each well and doing a cost analysis. I know right
now I can take my big macro and break it down into little macro but I
am hoping that there is an easier way to do all of this. Thanks for all
the help!!!