Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Type change in a declared Variable?

The problem is probably in the sheet data rather than the VBA.

If the data had been true numbers then the VBA would have performed
addition. If today's data was text that resembled numbers, VBA would have
treated the + as concatenation.

Check the data values carefully.
--
Gary's Student

"RjS, CISSP, CISA" wrote:

Hi - I have a VB program I wrote for excell some months ago. It has been
processing a bank report every day without a hitch for all that time. Today
it produced an entirely different and erroneous result. I traced the error to
the following statement:

lCreditSum = lCreditSum + wsSRC.Cells(i, 13).Value

Where lCreditSum is previously declared as a type Single. The SRC value is
formatted as a number with 2 decimal points. When I set a watch on the
lCreditSum variable and process a previous input report, its type assignment
remains as type Single throughout the entire run, but when it processes
todays input report the type assignment changes to a "Variant/String" on the
very first assignment. It then proceeds to append each new value to the
variable instead of adding the new values to the sum as its supposed to.

Please, anybody... any suggestions? Absolutely nothing has changed with this
program for several months and I have examined in input reports in minute
detail and can detect no changes.

Thanks much,