Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default 'Freeze panes' disables controls

A limitation of Excel :
<From an earlier post
Whilst this refers to Office97, I still see the same in Excel 2002.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168392
"For an ActiveX control to appear and function properly in multiple windows
or panes of the same document, the container application must support the
IViewObject interface. Because Word, Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint do not
support this interface (as discussed in the previous section), the behavior
of an ActiveX control that is viewed in two different windows or panes of
the same document may be unpredictable."

Seems like you're out of luck.
</From an earlier post

Not this only applies to ActiveX. If you can use the controls from the Forms
tool box, there is no issue.

NickHK

"DenisKa" wrote in message
Hi
When I add some controls to sheet (e.g. buttons), and use 'Freeze panes'
option then some controls become disabled. E.g.: a half of a button can be
enabled and clicked, second one is like a picture. Why does this happen?
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's a limitation of Excel as described in that article; don't know if Excel
implements the required interface in the 2007 version, but none before
AFAIK.
The Forms controls are not ActiveX and hence interface and other COM
constructs do not apply.

I don't use VSTO, but in VBA you can add a Forms button with :
ActiveSheet.Buttons.Add(481.5, 9, 102, 58.5).Select

NickHK

"DenisKa" wrote in message
Thanks.
My problem is the following: I use VS 2005 and VSTO, MS Office 2003 Pro

SP1,
and drop some buttons to Excel's sheet. If freeze panes are activated -

all
buttons behind screen's bounds are disabled (just a picture). If freezing
bound crosses a button - it is the strange situation I have desribed

before
(a half of a button is OK, second one is not). Seems to your case very

much.
Does this limitation still go for 2003 and is this same issue for two

cases?

Can it be an explanation: "When a Windows Forms control is added to a
Microsoft Office Word or Microsoft Office Excel document, Microsoft Visual
Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System embeds an ActiveX

control
that then hosts the Windows Forms control in the document. The Windows

Forms
control is not embedded directly in the document"? Looks like same ActiveX
problem...

TIA