Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Multiple windows?

Allen,

I researched that very problem last week. It seems that this feature was
disabled in Office 2003, but I think it will be revisited in Office 2007. In
the mean time, I found a possible work-around if you were interested. Please
take a look at what I uploaded to my website for instructions
(http://www.graceba.net/~wmivey/New%2...S%20Excel.xls). This
will allow you a choice by selecting the Excel file you want in a new
instance (which I use from within Windows Explorer) and from within your
right click menu list to open the selected file in a new instance of MS
Excel. This allows me to work with two Excel files (one on each of my
monitors at work).

Let me know if you have any other suggestions...

Mark Ivey

"Allen_N" wrote in message
In Office 2000, multiple Excel workbooks could be displayed in separate
windows, making manual comparisons and cross-referencing much simpler than
swapping views under the 'Window' menu or using 'Arrange'. Is there a way
turn this on in Office 2003?

(I still get multiple document windows in Word, so it seems odd that this
feature would me removed from Excel.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Would

Windows Compare side by side suit your purposes?

Ant

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ant,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, but that would not work for what I was
wanting to do. I really wanted to be able to view two instances of Excel and
the post I made with instructions on how to do it was what did the trick for
me. This allows me to see one instance of Excel on one of my monitors and
another instance of Excel on my other monitor.

Keep in mind that if you have anything saved in your PERSONAL MACRO
WORKBOOK, you will get an error telling you that BOOK1 is open for editing.
Really not a big deal. Just click okay and keep going with your work. You
just won't be able to save anything to your PERSONAL MACRO WORKBOOK from the
2nd instance (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) of Excel you open with the method I
suggested. If you need to save something to the PERSONAL MACRO WORKBOOK, you
need to make sure you are in the original instance of Excel or make sure all
other instances are closed before doing so.

Thanks...

Mark Ivey

ps.com...