Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Select Case organization help

Alicia
I want to help but, frankly, I can't follow your description of the
problem. I think you would get a better response if you tried your
explanation again, in more generic terms.
For instance:
Describe what you have.
Describe what the user does (he selects one of X choices)
What do you want to happen if the user selects the first choice?
Ditto the second choice.
Ditto etc.
I think you have a situation wherein that first selection opens a number of
other possible selections. Describe those in generic terms.

You say:
"Here are the various options:
MEDICAL:
Employee can choose:
Option 1, Option 2 or Option 3.

EE, EE/SP, EE/CH or Family (EE/SP/CH)"

Where does MEDICAL: come from?
How do the items in the last line relate to....anything? I don't mean what
do they mean. I mean are they some choices or conditions or parameters that
have a bearing on what you want to happen?
I realize you're having some difficulty getting your arms around this thing.
Imagine what someone who walks in off the street and reads what you wrote
knows about what you wrote. That's me and not much. HTH Otto

"Alicia" wrote in message
Oh helpful ones,

I need help organizing the Select Case I'm trying to build. It's
overwhelming me!

I am trying to have rates for Medical and Dental insurance self-populate
when you choose the options. So, A2 would be Medical rate for employee on
row 2 and B2 would be the Dental rate for EE on row 2.

Here are the various options:
MEDICAL:
Employee can choose:
Option 1, Option 2 or Option 3.

EE, EE/SP, EE/CH or Family (EE/SP/CH)

Employee is:

Salary, Commission/PT or GLR (different rates)

We "X" the box for what the employee has chosen (Options and coverage)
which
seems to me is a string. So that makes strOpt and strDep. How do I
declare
properly so that if there's an X in the Option 1 box that strOpt is = 1,
Option 2 makes strOpt = 2, etc.

Same thing with strDep (1, 2, 3 or 4). Is String the right choice?

If the EE is GLR, Salary, Commission and PT don't matter. However, if
they
aren't GLR, then Salary and Commission or PT have different rates

I have a separate sheet with named ranges (Opt1, Opt2, Opt 3 and Den) and
each one has the Dep status on the right column with the Sal, Comm/PT or
GLR
heading across.

I think I could build this with a whole bunch of If..then.. statements but
Select Case seems to be the way to go. I'm just having a hard time
wrapping
my head around it.

The last question is where do I put it so the rates pop up at the right
time. Is this an OnExit procedure from a cell?

I usually use VLookup but I think this is too complicated for a formula.
Any and all suggestions are welcome! If you can come up with a formula,
please do!

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Alicia