Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default End Select without Select Case, Block If without End If errors

I am trying to implement the function below (good computer scientists will
know why =)). However I keep getting the following errors:

"End Select without Select Case"

If I try moving the tabs around, I sometimes get the following error:

"Block If without End If"

However, these error messages don't seem to make sense as everything is
closed. How can I fix this?

Thanks
Atreides

=========
Function ConwaysStepCell(neighbours, current, newLife, liveMin, liveMax)
Select Case current
Case 0
If neighbours = newLife Then
ConwaysStepCell = 1
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 0
End If
Case 1
If neighbours < liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
If neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If
End Select
End Function
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Count the "If"s and "End If"s here :

Case 1
If neighbours < liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
If neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If

Seems like you want:
Case 1
If neighbours = liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 1
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 0
End If

NickHK

"Atreides" <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Actually, what I wanted was:

Case 1
If neighbours < liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
ElseIf neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If

I didn't realise the EndIf was required (still a VBA newbie). However, I
think it's confusing that it picked up on the Select Case rather than the End
If. I think someone suggested this a change to this to Microsoft recently.

Thanks
Atreides

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick has showed you that you don't need as many tests as you have if you
re-structure them, but it doesn't tell you why yours is wrong.

Essentially, every IF must be terminated by an End If. So

If neighbours < liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
If neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If

should be

If neighbours < liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
End If
If neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If

Or you can add the second test to the overall If

If neighbours < liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
ElseIf neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If

Or you can nest another Select ... Case

Select Case True
Case neighbours < liveMin: ConwaysStepCell = 0
Case neighbours liveMax: ConwaysStepCell = 0
Case neighbours = liveMax: ConwaysStepCell = 1
End Select

This last shows you more clearly that two conditions take the same action,
so you can simplify the test by reversing it

Select Case True
Case neighbours = liveMax: ConwaysStepCell = 1

Case Else: ConwaysStepCell = 0
End Select

which is equivalent to Nick's

If neighbours = liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 1
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 0
End If

or even

ConwaysStepCell = IIf(neighbours = liveMin ,1,0)
--

HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

?B?QXRyZWlkZXM=?= <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote in
:

Function ConwaysStepCell(neighbours, current, newLife, liveMin,
liveMax) Select Case current
Case 0
If neighbours = newLife Then
ConwaysStepCell = 1
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 0
End If
Case 1
If neighbours < liveMin Then **** This If needs an End If
ConwaysStepCell = 0
If neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If
End Select
End Function

Kind regards,
Erik Klausen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tip on including the End If, but I'm still not sure about
your logic in reducing the function down. I think you are missing the fact
that neighbours could be = liveMin or liveMax or in between. Eg with liveMin
= 2, liveMax = 3

If neighbours < 2 Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
ElseIf neighbours 3 Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If

Here, if neighbours is
0, ConwaysStepCell = 0
1, ConwaysStepCell = 0
2, ConwaysStepCell = 1
3, ConwaysStepCell = 1
4, ConwaysStepCell = 0

With your example:

Select Case True
Case neighbours < 2: ConwaysStepCell = 0
Case neighbours 3: ConwaysStepCell = 0
Case neighbours = 3: ConwaysStepCell = 1
End Select

Here, if neighbours is
0, ConwaysStepCell = 0
1, ConwaysStepCell = 0
2, ConwaysStepCell = NO CASE!
3, ConwaysStepCell = 1
4, ConwaysStepCell = 0

See what I mean?

But in any case, thanks for your time in explaining different ways of
writing the function. They will help me learn different ways of inputting
functions in the future.

Atreides

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

.... sometimes <G

Bob

"NickHK" wrote in message
[...]

Case Else: ConwaysStepCell

=
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are right, I missed that there were two variables liveMin and liveMax. I
think Nick also missed that fact. On that basis ElseIf is best, or a nested
select case, which is what I would do, as I suggested

Or you can nest another Select ... Case

Select Case True
Case neighbours < liveMin: ConwaysStepCell = 0
Case neighbours liveMax: ConwaysStepCell = 0
Case neighbours = liveMax: ConwaysStepCell = 1
End Select

which actually clearly shows the two comparisons (but I still missed it
<G). This construct shows an interesting variation on Select ... Case,
namely basing the Select on True instead of some object or variable.
--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oops, seems we missed the liveMin/liveMax difference.
Only you can tell if the logic here gives the correct value for
ConwaysStepCell for all values of liveMin and liveMax with liveMin being the
most important comparison, irrespective of liveMax.

If neighbours < liveMin Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
ElseIf neighbours liveMax Then
ConwaysStepCell = 0
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 1
End If

'Or
If (neighbours = liveMin) and (neighbours <= liveMax) Then
ConwaysStepCell = 1
Else
ConwaysStepCell = 0
End If

The top version is probably faster as you only need a maximum of 2
comparisons, whilst the 2nd always need 3 comparisons.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Would something like this be ok?

Function ConwaysStepCell(Neighbours, Current, NewLife, LiveMin, LiveMax)
Select Case Current
Case 0
ConwaysStepCell = -(Neighbours = NewLife)
Case 1
ConwaysStepCell = -((Neighbours = LiveMin) And (Neighbours <= LiveMax))
Case Else
'Not sure
End Select
End Function

The idea in vba being
?-True
1

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is a classic case for the IIF function.

Option Explicit

Function ConwaysStepCell(neighbours, current, newLife, liveMin, liveMax)
Select Case current
Case 0
ConwaysStepCell = IIf(neighbours = newLife, 1, 0)
Case 1
ConwaysStepCell = _
IIf(neighbours < liveMin Or neighbours liveMax, 0, 1)
End Select
End Function

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , ?B?
QXRyZWlkZXM=?= <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom says...