Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Stuck Smart Indenter

I have done this before and I have done it again.
Done a lot of coding, ran the free Smart Indenter from Office Automation and
the indenter got stuck.
Progress bar is stuck at 91 % and nil can be done. On the previous occasion
I had no other option to
kill Excel and lose the work, but if possible I would like to avoid that
this time.
Any suggestions how this could be done?
There is no process in Task Manager that seems it could be killed to stop
the Indenter. It looks it is stuck
in an infinite loop.
Any help greatly appreciated.

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Very true, but no help in this case.
Any idea at all how to kill this process without taking
Excel or the VBE with it?

RBS

oups.com...

RB Smissaert wrote:
I have done this before and I have done it again.
Done a lot of coding, ran the free Smart Indenter from Office Automation
and
the indenter got stuck.
Progress bar is stuck at 91 % and nil can be done. On the previous
occasion
I had no other option to
kill Excel and lose the work, but if possible I would like to avoid that
this time.
Any suggestions how this could be done?
There is no process in Task Manager that seems it could be killed to stop
the Indenter. It looks it is stuck
in an infinite loop.
Any help greatly appreciated.

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you sure there isn't a msgbox or something that is awaiting input.

I have certainly done that too myself with no apparent way to provide that
input because it somehow got behind another window - I admit it hasn't
happened enought that I can say how to rectify it - but if that is a
possibility, maybe you can think of something.

Tom Ogilvy

RB Smissaert wrote:
I have done this before and I have done it again.
Done a lot of coding, ran the free Smart Indenter from Office Automation
and
the indenter got stuck.
Progress bar is stuck at 91 % and nil can be done. On the previous
occasion
I had no other option to
kill Excel and lose the work, but if possible I would like to avoid that
this time.
Any suggestions how this could be done?
There is no process in Task Manager that seems it could be killed to stop
the Indenter. It looks it is stuck
in an infinite loop.
Any help greatly appreciated.

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No, there is nothing waiting for input.
I think what is happening is that the indenting process is stuck in a loop,
probably because of the code not being correct.
Could be a missing quote somewhere or a missing line continuation character,
something like that.
I think this is a bug in the indenter, but it doesn't seem to happen often
or
with many people. I know what the dll is of the indenter (IndenterVBA.dll)
but deleting that doesn't do anything as expected.
It looks there just is no way to avoid killing Excel. I have an app of
SysInternals that can kill the VBE, but I am sure that that would lose the
code.
Luckily, I can remember all the bits I have done, so to re-write will take
much less than originally, but I thouhgt it was worth to investigate how
to deal with this situation (stuck indenter) for next time ...

RBS