Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Text Box in Excel 2007 Chart

Hello All,
A couple things I can't figure on Excel 2007 (the list seems to grow each
day). I tried to record a macro that adds a text box to an existing chart.
The text box gets added, but nothing is recorded. Any ideas?

Also, I can't seem to add text to the text box on the chart. It positions
the cursor in the text box, I enter the text, hit return and get a message
Reference is not valid. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill -

When working with the new shapes in Office 2007, the macro recorder doesn't
record anything, because Microsoft never hooked up the new shapes into the
recorder. Also some actions with charts are not recorded. This is an
unfortunate omission.

What text are you entering into the text box?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello All,
A couple things I can't figure on Excel 2007 (the list seems to grow each
day). I tried to record a macro that adds a text box to an existing
chart. The text box gets added, but nothing is recorded. Any ideas?

Also, I can't seem to add text to the text box on the chart. It positions
the cursor in the text box, I enter the text, hit return and get a message
Reference is not valid. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Jon,

I was just typing some letters like ggggg to see if it worked. Also,
sometimes I can't even select the chart title and edit it on the chart page
itself. Not sure what is going on there.

I have noticed the issue of not recording other actions as well, e.g.,
rotating the data labels. Makes it a little harder to figure out the code
since older code doesn't work on the data labels.

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello All,
A couple things I can't figure on Excel 2007 (the list seems to grow each
day). I tried to record a macro that adds a text box to an existing
chart. The text box gets added, but nothing is recorded. Any ideas?

Also, I can't seem to add text to the text box on the chart. It
positions the cursor in the text box, I enter the text, hit return and
get a message Reference is not valid. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you still using the beta? Some of these issues have been cleared up.

Describe your problems in more detail, I'd like to get a better picture of
what's not working.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello All,
A couple things I can't figure on Excel 2007 (the list seems to grow
each day). I tried to record a macro that adds a text box to an
existing chart. The text box gets added, but nothing is recorded. Any
ideas?

Also, I can't seem to add text to the text box on the chart. It
positions the cursor in the text box, I enter the text, hit return and
get a message Reference is not valid. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, I am still using beta (with the technical refresh). The problem with
the text box occurs when I have a finsihed chart and I add a text box. Then
I right click and select edit text. The cursur appears in the text box and
I begin typing. No letters appear in the text box - instead they appear in
the formula bar. On the title, I seem to be able to change the title when I
am working with an embedded chart, but no when I move the chart to its own
sheet. Hopefully, most of these will disappear once I get the new version.

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello All,
A couple things I can't figure on Excel 2007 (the list seems to grow
each day). I tried to record a macro that adds a text box to an
existing chart. The text box gets added, but nothing is recorded. Any
ideas?

Also, I can't seem to add text to the text box on the chart. It
positions the cursor in the text box, I enter the text, hit return and
get a message Reference is not valid. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I first got the RTM version, I went through some similar exercises. I
don't recall exactly now what they were, but they included using textboxes
in this way, and I remember thinking to myself, "Finally!" (This had been
the cause of much frustration.)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP