Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Art Art is offline

Default Combo drop down list

Is there a way when I make a combo drop down list, and in the list are a lot
of names, is there a way that I should be able to type for E.G. the letter
"r" and it should jump to the names starting with a "r".
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use a combobox from the control toolbox.

Set its .matchentry property to fmMatchEntryFirstLetter
(And .style to fmStyleDropDownList)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Art Art is offline

Thanks, but I'm not so great in programing, I don't understand what you
wrote. Anyhow I think you mean I should use the control combo down list, but
I used the combo down from the "forms" not from the "control". I don't know
how to write VBA. Please help.

art wrote:

Is there a way when I make a combo drop down list, and in the list are a lot
of names, is there a way that I should be able to type for E.G. the letter
"r" and it should jump to the names starting with a "r".

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

add a combobox from the control toolbox,
then with the macro code that your existing forms combobox calls, note the
macro name:
EG.
sub macro1()
bla bla bla
end sub

in theabove the macro name is "macro1"

If you click on the design view icon then double click the contol combobox
you just added.
Place Call "Macro Name" in there.
this should run the current macro that yopu are using for the forms
combobox.

Then while in design mode, click on the properties icon when highlighting
the contol combobox.
Then look down the list for the :
..matchentry property
pick as per what Dave posted
then go scroll to the
style to fmStyleDropDownList
and pick the Dave posted item also.
Exit diesign mode and your done.

Corey....

art wrote:

Is there a way when I make a combo drop down list, and in the list are
a lot
of names, is there a way that I should be able to type for E.G. the
letter
"r" and it should jump to the names starting with a "r".

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And just to add to Corey's response.

You'll probably want to change the .listfillrange and .linkedcell, too.

The .listfillrange will work like the input range of the Forms dropdown.

The .linkedcell will work like the cell link.

But instead of getting an index into the input range, the linked cell will
contain the value you want.

art wrote:

Is there a way when I make a combo drop down list, and in the list are
a lot
of names, is there a way that I should be able to type for E.G. the
letter
"r" and it should jump to the names starting with a "r".

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Art Art is offline

It didn't work the first part. How am I supposed to do first. After I made
from the control toolbar a combo dropdown list where am I supposed to put the
?Macro name?? And what should put "macro name" or the name of the macro?
Please help, I'm not so familiar with programming.

art wrote:

Is there a way when I make a combo drop down list, and in the list are
a lot
of names, is there a way that I should be able to type for E.G. the
letter
"r" and it should jump to the names starting with a "r".

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In design mode double click the command button, and look to see where your
flashing cursor is.
This is where you place the code.

Corey....