Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How in to parse constants in formula to cells

The OP's routine would eliminate the negative from
=a1*-3
but I am not sure what he wants exactly from
=A1-3
Luc.

"Festina Lente"

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:18:01 -0800, PapaDos
wrote:

LOL
That's a peculiar way to define a negative constant !
So X-Y means that Y is negative ?

Seriously, if that's what the OP wanted it could easily be fixed.

This is what the OP wrote:

"Because I changed the operational signs to "~" I have lost positive vs
negative numbers.

"Can you think of a way to preserve the positive vs negative numbers?"

The "within string" occurences may very well be a problem too like in
MID("attention=2*too low",1,1)

Easily fixed if "within string" occurrences of numbers should be ignored.

In my algorithm, I would merely eliminate all within quotes, including the
quotes, by adding to my Ignore regex.

--ron