Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Jim is offline

Default passwords incompatible with macros in 2007?

Just got RTM excel 2007.
Looks like there is no way to enable macros on a xslm file if it has a
password on it.

To recreate:
Create a new workbook with a simple macro. Save it with a password.
Open it. No way to run macros. (regardless of trust settings).
Save it without a password. Open it. macros work as expected.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Security everywhere... I feel so safe.<g There is a registry entry to
turn this off though.

Create this key and set its value to 1:

ExcelBypassEncryptedMacroScan

under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\E xcel\Security

--
Jim
"Jim" wrote in message
Just got RTM excel 2007.
Looks like there is no way to enable macros on a xslm file if it has a
password on it.

To recreate:
Create a new workbook with a simple macro. Save it with a password.
Open it. No way to run macros. (regardless of trust settings).
Save it without a password. Open it. macros work as expected.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Jim is offline

OK,
In order to get this to work I had to:
Right clicking in "Security" and choosing new DWORD value
ExcelBypassEncryptedMacroScan
(decimal value 1)

It it's in trusted directory it will just run the macros. If it's in a
non-trusted directory, it gives me the option.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim and Jim:
Thanks. Your posts were very helpful. However, I do not understand the logic
of making it impossible tu run macros in password-protected workbooks unless
a magic (undocumented) key is added to the registry. I see that I am not the
only one who ran into this problem.