Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to Find Incompatible Cell Formatting XL 2003 / 2007 ??

(This is a cross-post)

Hello;

I'm trying to see how easy or difficult the task is of converting from XL
2003 to XL 2007.
I selected a relatively simple 2003 file, and been able to sort out the
macro security, macros codes, events, vba references & libraries, etc. So far
so good!

One remaining difficulty is as follows. Each time I try to save the file in
XL 2007, the Compatibility Checker window would display under summary
(which's a good thing):
"Minor loss of fidelity
Some cells or styles in this w/b contain formatting that is not supported by
the selected file format. These formats will be converted to the closest
format available.
Number of occurrences 20"

OK. But where are those cells or styles ?? and on which w/s ?? and what is
exactly the nature of incompatibility ?? Is it a fill issue ?? Is it a
conditional formatting issue ?? ......

I've tried Help, Excel Options, Compatibility Checker, Index, etc. with no
luck.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

(This is a cross-post)

Actually, no, you didn't cross-post... you multi-posted. Please consider the
following for future reference...

From a post by Jeff Johnson:

"You have posted this question individually to multiple groups.
This is called Multiposting and it's BAD. Replies made in one
group will not be visible in the other groups, which may cause
multiple people to respond to your question with the same answer
because they didn't know someone else had already done it. This
is a waste of time.

If you MUST post your message to multiple groups, post a single
message and select all the groups (or type their names manually
in the Newsgroups field, separated by commas) in which you want
it to be seen. This is called Crossposting and when used properly
it is GOOD."

Some additional comment previously posted by me:

"You may not see this as a problem, but those of us who volunteer
answering questions on newsgroups do see it as a problem. You can't
imagine how annoying it is for a volunteer to read a question,
research background material, test sample code and then formulate
and post an answer to the original question only to go to another
newsgroup and find the question posted and ALREADY answered over
there. On top of that, if you cross-post your question, all of the
readers in all the newsgroups it is cross-posted to see both the
original question and all of the answers given to it. This is
beneficial to you because then we can add additional material to,
add clarification to, as well as add additional examples to an
answer you have received previously... that means you end up with
a more complete solution to your problem. This is a win-win
situation for all of us."

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rick;

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my "cross-post" and for the
clarification you provided.

The difficulty is that the majority of (if not all) experts in the field
appear to be dedicated to one DG or another. I don't recall ever (or perhaps
rarely) coming across a MS XL MVP responding to a question in MrExcel for
example, or a MrExcel MVP answering a question posted in another DG.

In fact, a while back I did refer in one of my posts to a procedure posted
in another DG in response to someone else's question. The expert replying to
my post clearly wrote: "I'm only familiar with this forum".

I almost always post my question or comment in a single DG. Which
discussion group depends on the topic, since it seems to me that "interests"
vary from one group to another. Let some time lapses and if no replies or
good suggestions, I usually but not always post the same (or slightly
modified) question in other DGs with "This is a cross-post" clearly stated at
the top.

And another thing! You notice that in the MS DG "Reply To" window,
"Advanced Options", one can specify the full USENET address of other
discussion groups for "cross-posting" the same question. The difficulty is in
entering that very long full address! Writing "cross-post" at the top is
certainly much easier!

Some might argue that there is a distinction without a difference between
"cross-posting" and "multi-posting". But I got your point, and will try to
follow the general consensus in future posting.

Would appreciate any suggestions you might have regarding my OP.
Thank you.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

(This is a cross-post)

Actually, no, you didn't cross-post... you multi-posted. Please consider the
following for future reference...

From a post by Jeff Johnson:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi;

Apparently in XL 2007, when the XL 2003 file is saved using MS Button::Save
As::Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook, the incompatibility issue regarding Cells
and Styles disappears!
The saved file has .xlsm extension!

But for future work on converting XL 2003 files, one would be still
interested in identifying those cells and/or formats that are causing the
incompatibility in the first place, so that one may modify them and save the
files in XL 2007 environment as XL 2003 files with .xls extension.

Any suggestions ?? Thank you.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

(This is a cross-post)

Actually, no, you didn't cross-post... you multi-posted. Please consider the
following for future reference...

From a post by Jeff Johnson: