Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need help with setting variables

I want to set variables so I can use them in the following way:

A = James
B = Ron
C = Tony

Range("M33").Select
If Range("AB22").Value = "N" Then
ActiveCell = "A"
Else: ActiveCell = "Alternate"
End If

What syntax to I use to make this run in VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure what you are trying to achieve, but
- It is a good idea, in the VBE, to set ToolsOptionsEditorcheck Require
Variable Declaration
This will put "Option Explicit" at the top of all modules, forcing you to
declare them. Check the Help.
And add Option Explicit manually to your current module.

You mean something like

Dim A as string,B as string,C as string
A = "James"
B = "Ron"
C = "Tony"

Range("M33").Select
If Range("AB22").Value = "N" Then
ActiveCell = A
Else
ActiveCell = "Alternate"
End If

Like this though, A, B & C are not very variable, as all the values are
hard-coded, so you do not really gain anything by assigning the variables.

Depends what the source of your values is.

NickHK

"erikkeith via OfficeKB.com" <u13156@uwe wrote in message
I want to set variables so I can use them in the following way:

A = James
B = Ron
C = Tony

Range("M33").Select
If Range("AB22").Value = "N" Then
ActiveCell = "A"
Else: ActiveCell = "Alternate"
End If

What syntax to I use to make this run in VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dim sNames

sNames = Array("James", "Ron", "Tony")

Range("M33").Select
If Range("AB22").Value = "N" Then
ActiveCell.Value = sNames(0)
Else: ActiveCell.Value = sNames(1)

HTH

Bob Phillips

I want to set variables so I can use them in the following way:

A = James
B = Ron
C = Tony

Range("M33").Select
If Range("AB22").Value = "N" Then
ActiveCell = "A"
Else: ActiveCell = "Alternate"
End If

What syntax to I use to make this run in VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What if I wanted to add to sNames together in a range?

For instance if I Dim sNames and Dim sNames2 and then want to do this:

Range("sNames + sNames2").Select how would I write the syntax?

Bob Phillips wrote:
Dim sNames

sNames = Array("James", "Ron", "Tony")

Range("M33").Select
If Range("AB22").Value = "N" Then
ActiveCell.Value = sNames(0)
Else: ActiveCell.Value = sNames(1)
End If

I want to set variables so I can use them in the following way:

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

What syntax to I use to make this run in VBA?