Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default column/sheet protection

I would like to hide a column which contains formulas that I don't want to be
shown. I made the column hidden and protect the sheet in order not ot let
unhide the column. the problem is that if I try to do operations on the other
cell like CTRL + H I get an error message saying that I cannot use the
commend in a protected sheet. As different people are going to use the file I
want to keep the protection but just in the columns with the formulas i have
created. is it possible to protect 2 cloumns only and have the rest of the
sheet able to be modified?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
Unlock all the cells. Then lock only the columns you want to lock. Then
apply protection. I think the user will still by able to unhide the columns
but they will not be able to make any changes to the locked cells.

"massi" wrote:

I would like to hide a column which contains formulas that I don't want to be
shown. I made the column hidden and protect the sheet in order not ot let
unhide the column. the problem is that if I try to do operations on the other
cell like CTRL + H I get an error message saying that I cannot use the
commend in a protected sheet. As different people are going to use the file I
want to keep the protection but just in the columns with the formulas i have
created. is it possible to protect 2 cloumns only and have the rest of the
sheet able to be modified?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No luck.
I will try to give more info regarding my problem:
column C contain a formula and i want to have hidden.
column O contain links to other spread sheet that need to be updated by
substitute the links.
the other cells contain tex only.
I have tried the method below but it doesn't work.

"massi" wrote:

I would like to hide a column which contains formulas that I don't want to be
shown. I made the column hidden and protect the sheet in order not ot let
unhide the column. the problem is that if I try to do operations on the other
cell like CTRL + H I get an error message saying that I cannot use the
commend in a protected sheet. As different people are going to use the file I
want to keep the protection but just in the columns with the formulas i have
created. is it possible to protect 2 cloumns only and have the rest of the
sheet able to be modified?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select the entire sheet, then Format, Cells, Protection. Untick the boxes.
The select the columns containing your formuals and repeat process but
ticking the protection and hidden boxes.
Then try protecting the spreadsheet.

HTH
Matthew