Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MAB MAB is offline

Default Absolute vs. relative hyperlinks

I'm creating hyperlinks with the format: "file://" & sFile
Where sFile is a string variable holder the UNC path and file name.

It seems sometime at some point after the hyperlinks are created, they're
changing from absolute to relative. Most spread sheet I populate with
hyperlinks stay absolute but some change to relative (why?).

Is there anything I can do to assure they stay absolute?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MAB MAB is offline

It seem one workstation is changing the hyperlinks from absolute to relative
as the hyperlink is programmatically created. Is there a setting or
something I can do to stop this behavior?

"MAB" wrote:

I'm creating hyperlinks with the format: "file://" & sFile
Where sFile is a string variable holder the UNC path and file name.

It seems sometime at some point after the hyperlinks are created, they're
changing from absolute to relative. Most spread sheet I populate with
hyperlinks stay absolute but some change to relative (why?).

Is there anything I can do to assure they stay absolute?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MAB MAB is offline

It seems one workstation is automatically applying a relative address even
though I'm programmatically supplying and absolute address. Any thoughts on
how I can stop this behavior?

"MAB" wrote:

I'm creating hyperlinks with the format: "file://" & sFile
Where sFile is a string variable holder the UNC path and file name.

It seems sometime at some point after the hyperlinks are created, they're
changing from absolute to relative. Most spread sheet I populate with
hyperlinks stay absolute but some change to relative (why?).

Is there anything I can do to assure they stay absolute?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe you could drop the Insert|Hyperlink style of hyperlinks and replace them
with by using the =hyperlink() worksheet function.

======
I'm not sure if this will work with your hyperlinks, but a few people have said
that this has resolved the problem for them:

File|Properties|Summary Tab|Hyperlink Base
change it to C:\
(something that's always available)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MAB MAB is offline

Thanks for the response Dave.

The hyperlinks are pointing to diferent servers and various folder
structures. So, would Hyperlink Base help here?