Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Relational Mapping Pattern for Excel/Relational DB

I have a spreadsheet which, for a given sheet, the rows of that sheet map
partially to a DB. The sheet has columns not in the database, and the "map"
is really to an SQL statement that joins a couple of tables together in some
arbitrarily complex way. For every sheet that is like this, there is a
unique key that maps the spreadsheet row to the DB. Note that the
spreadsheet row is not equal to a DB row - there are some columns that are
not shared, and a given row of the spreadsheet matches to a sql statement
with joins, not a table.

I'd like to setup a mapping such that I can refresh the rows of the sheet
with their current data in the DB and, ideally, for specific columns, do the
reverse (propigate an update from the sheet to the DB).

If this was a big Java application, I'd use Hibernate or IBATIS or something
to do an object/relational map. I'm sure there's a good Excel/VBA approach
for doing this.