Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mfq mfq is offline

Default Confusion with Names

When I go to the VBA IDE of a workbook, I see the Project Explorer,
Properties Window, and the Code window. If I look at the Project
Explorer, each worksheet is titled Sheet1(Sheet1). In the Properties
Window, I see two types of names: (Name) and Name, i.e., one enclosed
in parenthesis and the other not. What are the differences between
these two types of names for the worksheet?
I want the user to have the ability to change the worksheet names but
not have it affect my code. I tried Index and Item but those refer to
the position of the sheet and not it's "name".

Michael
VBA Beginner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One is the tab name that you see on the tab, the other is the codename.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/codemods.htm
Chip Pearson has a explanation.

In the project explorer it is
Codename (tabname)

In the properties window, the codename is (name), the tab name is name

just the opposite.

Rename a sheet tab and have a look.

Tom Ogilvy

"mfq" wrote in message
ups.com...
When I go to the VBA IDE of a workbook, I see the Project Explorer,
Properties Window, and the Code window. If I look at the Project
Explorer, each worksheet is titled Sheet1(Sheet1). In the Properties
Window, I see two types of names: (Name) and Name, i.e., one enclosed
in parenthesis and the other not. What are the differences between
these two types of names for the worksheet?
I want the user to have the ability to change the worksheet names but
not have it affect my code. I tried Index and Item but those refer to
the position of the sheet and not it's "name".

Michael
VBA Beginner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mfq mfq is offline

Excellent tips on all who wrote back. Thank You!!
I also found a similar answer (codename) in Roman's book after much
digging.