Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cleaning some blob data

I need to do a little file manipulation with VBA

I am pulling blob data out of ms sql server using text copy, the files
are jpeg files that have had tags added to the front of the file, and
of course could be fairly big.

I know that the actual jpeg begins with a particular 4 characters, so I
could identify how many characters into the file i have the real file
starting.

Now if this was a string, I would just use instr to find the start and
right(x$,len(x$)-instr(1,x$,instr$)) to get the data. But this is too
damn big for that method.

Any suggestions? Do I have to do this character by character? if so I
could use a little help with how.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Andy Kessel" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
I need to do a little file manipulation with VBA

I am pulling blob data out of ms sql server using text copy, the files
are jpeg files that have had tags added to the front of the file, and
of course could be fairly big.

I know that the actual jpeg begins with a particular 4 characters, so I
could identify how many characters into the file i have the real file
starting.

Now if this was a string, I would just use instr to find the start and
right(x$,len(x$)-instr(1,x$,instr$)) to get the data. But this is too
damn big for that method.

Any suggestions? Do I have to do this character by character? if so I
could use a little help with how.

Open the file in binary mode and read a group of 4 bytes, instead of
character by character. U can store 4 bytes in a byte array, rather than a
string.

Public Sub ReadJPGHeader()
Dim FileNum As Integer
Dim FileName As String
Dim FileHeader(3) As Byte
FileNum = FreeFile
FileName = "C:\TEST.JPG"
Open FileName For Binary Access Read As FileNum
Get FileNum, , FileHeader
Close FileNum
'MsgBox Hex(FileHeader(0))
'MsgBox Hex(FileHeader(1))
'etc.
End Sub

But after all it's way faster to do this in C++, so a .dll that does the
dirty work, called by VBA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would agree, it would be better to have in a dll. Just currently
beyond my tools set.
Problem is that I have to do this with a bunch of files, so it would be
particularly useful to have a faster routine. I wish our database
software, didn't add the extra info to the front of the jpeg, then I
wouldn't have this problem.

If interested in writing such a thing, let me know - I could give you
more to work with, and let you price it for me. If interested email me
at .

Thanks, Andy

Open the file in binary mode and read a group of 4 bytes, instead of
character by character. U can store 4 bytes in a byte array, rather than a
string.

Public Sub ReadJPGHeader()
Dim FileNum As Integer
Dim FileName As String
Dim FileHeader(3) As Byte
FileNum = FreeFile
FileName = "C:\TEST.JPG"
Open FileName For Binary Access Read As FileNum
Get FileNum, , FileHeader
Close FileNum
'MsgBox Hex(FileHeader(0))
'MsgBox Hex(FileHeader(1))
'etc.
End Sub

But after all it's way faster to do this in C++, so a .dll that does the
dirty work, called by VBA.

Cleaning data Torero Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 28th 06 10:16 PM
Cleaning Data AMMark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 October 19th 06 07:21 PM
Cleaning Up Data [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 September 20th 06 04:40 PM
saving blob ntt123 Excel Programming 1 October 10th 05 04:28 AM
Cleaning up data ali Excel Programming 5 December 23rd 03 04:22 PM