Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Performing calculation in active cell based on user input

I'm doing something in Excel 2003 which I think is fairly basic. I'm
creating a time entry worksheet function which will be used by administrators
to enter the daily hours for a group of employees. Instead of entering
"8:30", I would like to avoid typing the colon and have the user into "830".
I would then like this to be stored and displayed in the cell as "08:30 AM".
This requires a simple calculation to convert the "830" to the proper time
format, but I can't figure out how to return to the active cell a calculated
value which is calculated based on input from the user. I know there has to
be a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
CJM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CJM,

I've tried to think of all the things they could enter that won't work, but
I've probably missed some.

Paste the following into the worksheet module. It does the conversion for
any value entered into Column B. The long If statement checks for, in
order, 3 or 4 characters, whether it's an integer, if the hour digits are
less than or equal to 24, if the minute digits are less than or equal to 60.
I tried to structure it so that you only have the error message in one
place, but got a compile error on non-numerics until I put that test first.

You have to enter these numbers as military time, e.g. 1430 for 2:30 pm.
One weird result is that 12:30 AM must be entered as "24:30". Al in all I
think I'd just have them enter the colon, but it is an interesting problem.

Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
If IsNumeric(Target) Then
If (Len(Target) = 3 Or Len(Target) = 4) And _
Int(Target) = Target And _
Left$(Target, WorksheetFunction.Max(Len(Target) - 2, 1)) <= 24 And
_
Right$(Target, 2) <= 59 Then
Target = Left$(Target, Len(Target) - 2) & ":" & Right$(Target,
2)
If Left$(Target, 2) = "24" Then
Target = Replace(Target, "24", "0")
End If
Target.NumberFormat = "h:mm AM/PM"
Else
Target.Clear
Target.Select
MsgBox "that's not a time"
End If
Else
Target.Clear
Target.Select
MsgBox "that's not a time"
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

hth,

Doug

"CJM" wrote in message
I'm doing something in Excel 2003 which I think is fairly basic. I'm
creating a time entry worksheet function which will be used by
administrators
to enter the daily hours for a group of employees. Instead of entering
"8:30", I would like to avoid typing the colon and have the user into
"830".
I would then like this to be stored and displayed in the cell as "08:30
AM".
This requires a simple calculation to convert the "830" to the proper time
format, but I can't figure out how to return to the active cell a
calculated
value which is calculated based on input from the user. I know there has
be a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
CJM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doug - Thanks so much for your thorough response. I really appreciate it.
I'm in the process of trying it now and will let you know. The reason for
avoiding the colon is that the payroll clerks are quite error prone, and if
they have to enter a colon, that requires two entries, the shift and then the
colon, hence more chance for error. Many of the clerks are good at using the
number pad, but if they have to stop to enter a shift and colon, they take
their hands off the number pad and hence further chance of error. I've
actually seen it happen.
--
CJM

"CJM" wrote in message
I'm doing something in Excel 2003 which I think is fairly basic. I'm
creating a time entry worksheet function which will be used by
administrators
to enter the daily hours for a group of employees. Instead of entering
"8:30", I would like to avoid typing the colon and have the user into
"830".
I would then like this to be stored and displayed in the cell as "08:30
AM".
This requires a simple calculation to convert the "830" to the proper time
format, but I can't figure out how to return to the active cell a
calculated
value which is calculated based on input from the user. I know there has
be a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
CJM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It works beautifully. That really helped a lot. Thanks again. I used to
be a really good programmer back in the day, but things have changed so much
and I've been out of the loop for a little while. Of course, as fate would
have it, I'm thrown back into the frey when my client asks me to "quickly"
develop a time entry spreadsheet for them.

The only issue I have is that one of the requirements is that the time entry
not be in military time -- the "start time" entered by the user must default
to am and the "end time" must default to pm. This is a must as apparently
the payroll clerks get confused on military time conversions. Now that the
code is working in military time (thanks to you), I'm thinking that perhaps
the best way to handle the military time issue is to add at the beginning of
the code a prompt to the user with a radio button for am or pm. The radio
button would default to am for the "start time" column and to pm for the "end
time" column. The calculations would then proceed based on the selection.
The user would then enter "830" and then hit enter twice or enter once with a
cursor move.

What do you think and is it possible to add the radio button as I've
described?
--
CJM

"CJM" wrote in message
I'm doing something in Excel 2003 which I think is fairly basic. I'm
creating a time entry worksheet function which will be used by
administrators
to enter the daily hours for a group of employees. Instead of entering
"8:30", I would like to avoid typing the colon and have the user into
"830".
I would then like this to be stored and displayed in the cell as "08:30
AM".
This requires a simple calculation to convert the "830" to the proper time
format, but I can't figure out how to return to the active cell a
calculated
value which is calculated based on input from the user. I know there has
be a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
CJM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just thinking out loud, I think another way to solve the military time
problem would be to only execute the worksheet_change if the cell contains no
value. See if you follow what I'm thinking and if it makes sense:

Cell is blank
User enters 830.
Cell returns 8:30 AM
User really wanted 8:30 PM, so user manually overwrites the AM to PM.
Cell does not return an error message but allows the overwrite and stores
the correct entry.

NOW, this sounds like a lot of steps, but 99% of the time, the "start time"
will always be AM and the "end time" pm, so all in all it may be less clicks
for the user.

Is what I described possible and how would you do it? I'm going to play
around and see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

--
CJM

"CJM" wrote in message
I'm doing something in Excel 2003 which I think is fairly basic. I'm
creating a time entry worksheet function which will be used by
administrators
to enter the daily hours for a group of employees. Instead of entering
"8:30", I would like to avoid typing the colon and have the user into
"830".
I would then like this to be stored and displayed in the cell as "08:30
AM".
This requires a simple calculation to convert the "830" to the proper time
format, but I can't figure out how to return to the active cell a
calculated
value which is calculated based on input from the user. I know there has
be a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
CJM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Doug. Once again you've been a big help. I couldn't get the code to
run properly, but I'm sure it wasn't your code. Since I'm not that up to
speed (yet!), I have problems navigating the debugger. Sometimes I can't
seem to reset the environment to start fresh, and I wind up exitng out of
Excel and back in. This happened even when I got the code to work.

Since I'm under a tight deadline, I've resdesigned the way I'm doing this
thing. I'm setting up a form (not an actual user form, but a group of cells)
that the user can enter their numbers into. I'm then converting those
numbers to the format I need in another cell. The user interface looks
something like this:

Day Date Start AM/PM End AM/PM Code
SAT 9/12 830 AM 530 PM 8
SUN 9/13 830 AM 530 PM 8
MON 9/14 830 AM 530 PM 8
TUE 9/15 830 AM 530 PM 8

This will work and everyone seems to like this idea. The problem I'm having
now is I'd like to be able to navigate the user input -- i.e., when the user
gets to the end of the first row, I'd like the cell selection to be the first
entry in the next row so that the user doesn't have to cursor over or click
in the cell. This seems easy to me, and I assume it will require a macro.
Have you ever done this?

I thought of setting up a user form, but I think this might be too
complicated. What do you think? People like you keep me going...I'm really
tired and I didn't get to have lunch!

--
CJM

"Doug Glancy" wrote:

CJM,

The issue that I see with only triggering if the cell is blank is that if
the user realizes they meant 730 instead of 830 the code won't run when they
make the corrcection. Here's what I've come up with. It's convoluted and
my lunch is almost over, so see if it works for you and feel free to ask me
what I meant either way.

This now assumes that start time is in column B and end time is in column C.
I added code to not do any processing on cells outside columns B and C (in
the event that they change multiple cells at once, some inside range B:C and
some outside:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal target As Range)
Dim target_cell As Range

Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(target, Range("B:C")) Is Nothing Then
For Each target_cell In Intersect(target, Range("B:C"))
If IsNumeric(target_cell) Then
If Not (IsDate(Date & " " & Format(target_cell, "h:mm")) And
Int(target_cell) = 0) Then
If (Len(target_cell) = 3 Or Len(target_cell) = 4) And _
Int(target_cell) = target_cell And _
Left$(target_cell,
WorksheetFunction.Max(Len(target_cell) - 2, 1)) <= 12 And _
Right$(target_cell, 2) <= 59 Then
target_cell = Left$(target_cell, Len(target_cell) - 2) &
":" & Right$(target_cell, 2) & " AM"
If Not Intersect(target_cell, Range("C:C")) Is Nothing
Then
target_cell = Replace(target_cell.Text, "AM", "PM")
End If
target_cell.NumberFormat = "h:mm AM/PM"
Else
target_cell.Clear
target_cell.Select
MsgBox "that's not a time"
Else
target_cell.Clear
target_cell.Select
MsgBox "that's not a time"
End If
Next target_cell
End If

"CJM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CJM,

For your tabbing question, try something like this. I assume that your data
entry area spans columns A:F:

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("F:F")) Is Nothing Then
Range("A" & Target.Row + 1).Select

Also, take a look at setting up a data list (Data List, available in 2003,
not sure about XP and earlier) and see if that meets your purposes. It's a
basic data entry environment that allows users to add new rows among other
things and tabs as you described.

hth,

Doug

"Doug Glancy" wrote:

[...]

<=
24 And
_

"CJM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It worked like a charm! I can't thank you enough. I'm slowly by surely
starting to get the hang of this. I figured out the debugger thing. Thanks
to your code, I have been able to figure out how to do certain things. I see
how you coded something, and I apply it to another component. You've been a
tremendous help.
--
CJM

"Doug Glancy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello! Maybe you can explain something to me. I am using the following code
(which I got from the discussion group) for my program. It works
beautifully; however, there's one part of it I don't understand. I've tested
it many times and did receive an error (can't remember what kind), but I
think that was due to bad data.

All it's doing is taking a range on one page in a workbook and copying it to
the end of another page using paste special values. The program I created
allows payroll clerks to enter time data and perform calculations for
multiple employees (sometimes up to hundreds of employees). When they're
finished with one employee, they click a button in the program and the
information is copied to the end of another page so that when the clerks are
through entering data, there is one compiled list of all the employees' data.
I then create a csv of that file and it gets uploaded. I was given 1 week
to come up with the system, and that's the best I could do. My client is
using excel to bypass getting a real database system which they need.
Anyway, here's the code:

'Export Data
ActiveWindow.ScrollWorkbookTabs Sheets:=1
Sheets("Summary Totals").Select
Sheets("Summary Totals").Range("A9:O15").Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Compiled Totals").Select
Sheets("Compiled Totals").Range("A9").Select
Do Until ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value = ""
If ActiveCell.Value < "" Then
Else
Loop
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Sheets("Field Rep Time Sheet").Select
Range("A19").Select

The part I don't understand is the If statement in the middle:

If ActiveCell.Value < "" Then
Else

The If then and Else statements are exactly the same. Do you understand
what it's doing? Also, while I have your ear, what's the easiest way to
identify a range of non blank entries -- i.e., from the compiled file I
created, I need to export that data to a csv file (which is another issue),
but I'm having problems selecting the range with nonblank data. I don't want
to select all as I only want to send non blank rows.

Anyway, if you're not busy during lunch and if I'm not taking advantage, I'd
love a response. Thanks! :)

--
CJM

"Doug Glancy" wrote:

CJM,

I've tried to think of all the things they could enter that
won't
work, but
I've probably missed some.

Paste the following into the worksheet module. It does the
conversion for
any value entered into Column B. The long If statement checks
for,
in
order, 3 or 4 characters, whether it's an integer, if the hour

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello -- one more question. I am trying to sort a list first by tech no and
then by name and am using the following code:

Range("A9").Select
Range("A8:O22").Sort Key1:=Range("D9"), Order1:=xlAscending,
Key2:=Range( _
"B9"), Order2:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1,
MatchCase _
:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, _
DataOption2:=xlSortNormal
ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=6

Rather than specify the range, I'd like excel to determine the range of the
table. What do I put instead of the A8:O22? BTW, I got the code by
recording a macro to sort and then copying the code. I'm sure everybody does
that!
--
CJM

"Doug Glancy" wrote:

CJM,

I've tried to think of all the things they could enter that
won't
work, but
I've probably missed some.

Paste the following into the worksheet module. It does the
conversion for
any value entered into Column B. The long If statement checks
for,
in
order, 3 or 4 characters, whether it's an integer, if the hour

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CJM,

I don't understand why the If and Else are both the same. Sounds like they
should just be converted to the one line.

For your non-blank question I'd need a more detailed description, but see my
second suggestion below.

Two general suggestions your questions. First try a Google search using
the Groups category - these are the archived newsgroup discussions. If
you're like me you'll find that others have asked your question before and
you don't have to wait for an answer. It's important to search within
Groups, then you'll see a straightforward listing of threads like this one.
There are web sites that use these threads as content, but they're just
adding a layer.

If that doesn't work, just post a new question to this group. There are far
more experienced folks monitoring this and the other Excel groups (some of
whom seem to sleep very little!) and by starting a new thread you're more
likely to get a good answer.

hth,

Doug

"Doug Glancy" wrote:

CJM,

I've tried to think of all the things they could enter that
won't
work, but
I've probably missed some.

Paste the following into the worksheet module. It does the
conversion for
any value entered into Column B. The long If statement
checks
for,
in
order, 3 or 4 characters, whether it's an integer, if the
hour

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CJM,

If you're talking about a List created in the Data menu, here' s some sample
code that changes the name of the first Data List on the sheet and then
tells you the DL's address:

Sub test()
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = ActiveSheet
ws.ListObjects(1).Name = "CJMs List"
MsgBox ws.ListObjects("CJMs List").Range.Address
End Sub

On another note, it;s good to avoid "Select" and "Activate" in your code.
The macro recorder, although a great tool for learning, uses them too much
and they slow down your code. For example, in your other recent post, you
could change:

Sheets("Summary Totals").Select
Sheets("Summary Totals").Range("A9:O15").Select
Selection.Copy

to:

Sheets("Summary Totals").Range("A9:O15").Copy

Nicer, isn't it?

hth,

Doug