Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change Author Name

Often, I am asked to make massive changes to workbooks that have originally
been created by another, usually someone who has left the company. They, and
I for that matter, would prefer that I be listed as the new author. As I
alter the file, I tend to rename it, via €˜file save as, as -1, -2, etc.
However, often when I do file save as, and begin to enter a revised name, I
see the old authors name showing on my monitor in a fleeting fashion, as if
a reminder to me that I am not really the author! Long ago, under file, then
properties, I changed the authors name to my own and it has not changed
back, so that is not the problem. And so I ask:

How else can it be that these files still think the old author is the author?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dean,

ActiveWorkbook.Author = "John DEAN"

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm assuming you mean to hihglight "this workbook" in the visual basic
section. FWIW, all that is there is one macro that i created, aftre deleting
many others.

What you are probably referring to is what i see down below, when
hihglighted "this workbook", within either an "alphabetic" or "categorized"
tab. I don't see anyhting called built-in and if you just mean that I should
scan all the items, I don't see anything in there either suggesting the
author's name, etc.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Nick
Dean

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This sounds promsiing but I am a little confused. I assume this is visual
basic coding. I do not see it on the This Workbook tab and, for that matter,
don't see it in any of the modules.

The only other places I can't search are atpvbaen, funcres, and name
manager, all with .xla extensions - they want a password to enter. I assume
these are related to add-ins and so this command would not be hdiing there.

Where could that coding be?

Thanks!
Dean

"Carim" wrote:

Hi Dean,

ActiveWorkbook.Author = "John DEAN"

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dean,

Answered too quickly ... Sorry ...
Below is the macro to be inserted into a module Alt+F11

Sub Name()
ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Author") = "Dean"
End Sub

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, I figured it out. This was really dumb on my part. You know how I said
the name was fleeting - that was my clue. When you do file save as, as you
go toward the name box, your mouse may pass over any of the icons for prior
workbooks that you have in the same folder. Well, sometimes, my mouse would
pass over one of the older versions, before I changed the author's name.

I guess this is some sort of capability to tell you a bit about each icon by
merely passing your mouse (not clicking it, mind you) over it, it gives the
author, date created, file size, and filename. Methinks that, sometimes,
EXCEL tries to help us more than it should!

Sorry for this, folks. If you ever had any reason to respect me, I would
feel really bad about having just lost it, via this thread!

Thanks!
Dean